Our cars are disappearing

Murder

I gots teh CARFAX y0!
Jan 26, 2007
Clifton, NJ
The feeling is terrible. MKIII Supras, All-Tracs, 240sxs, AE86, etc. They're all getting harder and harder to find. I've had my Trans Am on the road for a while now. I only put it on so I could find another car (MKIII Supra or 240Z to be specific) but I've been driving it for over a month now. I really can't find a decent ride within a good 600 mile radius around me.

Basically, how much longer do you guys think it'll be before these cars disappear, and forums like this become obsolete?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Forums will never die. As for the cars...we have to make sure they're not bought by morons, those that think they're 'JDM tyte drift spec' and kids that really should have gone out and started life with a Geo Metro...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
20 years.

I know they 'dont make them like they used to'... but look at all the old muscle car forums.... cars from the 60's.... we'll be old and senile before these cars are gone.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
The supra community won't die. Sure, cars and their members will come and go, but the true enthusiasts, the people to which a a70 is more than a stop gap for a MKIV or vehicle that takes them from A to B, they'll always be around to offer what help and advice they can to other enthusiasts.

I do however agree It's getting harder and harder to find a decent supra.

Two years ago when I wasn't in the position to get one, it seemed like I was tripping over cheap rust free examples.

Last year I realized the market was going a bit stale, but still managed to get a decent deal on my NA and didn't have to travel very far.

Now days the only cars I can find are either extremely far away or rusted out lemons (usually both).

But I will keep the hope as I like to think of myself as one those enthusiasts that I mentioned earlier ;).

Murder

I gots teh CARFAX y0!
Jan 26, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Well, if you can find me one within reasonable distance from NJ (er...in America) I'll sure be one of those guys :thumbsup:

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
Kai;991699 said:
we have to make sure they're not bought by morons, those that think they're 'JDM tyte drift spec' and kids that really should have gone out and started life with a Geo Metro...

True.... but our cars can truely be that..... im building mine.... not to drift, but more of a circuit car.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I bought another Mark III in my area to make sure it didnt go to the crusher and now my friend will be buying and restoring it with me during the summer. Its all about who owns the cars, like everyone has said.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
There are a lot of Supras for sale here... The problem with that though, is they are very over bloated in price... If you dug hard enough, for a couple grand more, you could buy an MKIV N/A

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
DonS1mpson;991744 said:
The supra community won't die. Sure, cars and their members will come and go, but the true enthusiasts, the people to which a a70 is more than a stop gap for a MKIV or vehicle that takes them from A to B, they'll always be around to offer what help and advice they can to other enthusiasts.

I do however agree It's getting harder and harder to find a decent supra.

Two years ago when I wasn't in the position to get one, it seemed like I was tripping over cheap rust free examples.

Last year I realized the market was going a bit stale, but still managed to get a decent deal on my NA and didn't have to travel very far.

Now days the only cars I can find are either extremely far away or rusted out lemons (usually both).

But I will keep the hope as I like to think of myself as one those enthusiasts that I mentioned earlier ;).

I'm shocked to say this but, I agree with this post 110% and this maybe the best post you ever made... wow...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I think alot are being parted out/stripped. Alot of people looking for random parts make parting out the cars profitable. The engines and trans will be next to dry up/price rocket.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
well parts are becoming harder and more expensive, I give it 8 to 14 years before they will be rare or so costly the common man such as me cannot afford to own one, I'll be honest if I could afford it I'd just as soon finance a Cobra or a solstice GXP turbo or something fun and new. I love mk3's but I doubt I'll ever be able to do what I want with it, it needs paint, it needs some interior work, it needs a swap or serious build because a basic tune on a 7m gets old, and I am sick of the auto, I do love my targa though.

I think it'll be gone though because sometime soon gasoline prices, global warming and politics will kill gasoline cars, at least ones that need high octane fuel and have low fuel economy, mine gets maybe 27 on hwy and 23 or so in town.

willtotheumm

I Bleed TRD
Apr 11, 2008
Orcutt, CA
www.myspace.com
i'm hiding all the Supras in my backyard :sarcasm:

I noticed the same thing too. I used to find MK3's in the auto trader kinda often, all sorts of 'em, in good condition. Now when I see one its like, 'Whoa a Supra!!!'. Esp. with MK4's. Kinda sad. I agree that kids who are just getting their cars need to start out with something small as to get used to a car, and learn to respect it.

The lot where I live I found a red MK3 and it had dents and dings and sounded like it had the worst rod knock too. I talked to guy and found out it was a targa non-turbo 5-speed. He wanted to get rid of it because 'out on the canyons' it was too heavy and would lose speed in the slide or he would struggle to keep control.

Stupid movies like FatF and Redline and games like NFS:U/U2/MW/Carbon/Prostreet also make people think they can do all this too. The games are great dont get me wrong, but it lets people think they can be this, all-star drifter and drift any car they get in. its just kinda sad to me.. :nono:

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Not only people outside of these forums, but some people on here don't really think their cars/engines are worth it so they treat them like shit, don't keep up on maintenance, or are just plain stupid. I don't think our cars will really disappear. I see some muscle cars around and they are WAY older than our cars. If our cars start to disappear I'm pretty sure some people will figure out a way to restore them, so it's all good to me, plus, I don't really need another supra as mine is in good condition right now. If anything happens to the supra though, I'll probably move on to another car.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
MKIIINA;991875 said:
I'm shocked to say this but, I agree with this post 110% and this maybe the best post you ever made... wow...

Thanks, good to know that there are others out there that are on the same page as me :).

willtotheumm;993474 said:
The lot where I live I found a red MK3 and it had dents and dings and sounded like it had the worst rod knock too. I talked to guy and found out it was a targa non-turbo 5-speed. He wanted to get rid of it because 'out on the canyons' it was too heavy and would lose speed in the slide or he would struggle to keep control.

Stupid movies like FatF and Redline and games like NFS:U/U2/MW/Carbon/Prostreet also make people think they can do all this too. The games are great dont get me wrong, but it lets people think they can be this, all-star drifter and drift any car they get in. its just kinda sad to me.. :nono:

This touches on what I believe to be the most ironic thing about a70s, their blessings of being a cheap but fairly capable RWD platform and being a "supra" are also their curses - Kids buy them thinking that they'll be able to half arse a couple of hundred horsepower out of the Rear wheels, go Need For Speed or Toyko Drift it up and brag to their buddies that they've got a supra...

Murder

I gots teh CARFAX y0!
Jan 26, 2007
Clifton, NJ
True enough. As far as muscle cars go, we live in America. They're our domestic cars, and greatly outnumber the number of MKIII Supras around. Take into consideration, how many Datsun 240Zs do we still see today? Rarely any, and those were immensely popular when they came out. I'm just trying to find my Supra before fuel is $5/gallon.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I see more Z cars than I see supras...

I think we'll be fine until Toyota stops making parts for us. If that happens, we're fucked as I doubt any aftermarket company will start making replacement parts for us like YearOne does...

Hell, you can make a 60's model Camaro BRAND NEW from these people these days...