ordering clutch next week

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
Hey guys i plan on ordering a new clutch next week for my w58. I am NA-t. last time i was on the dyno i was puttin out 275ftlbs of torque, since then i went from stock boost to 13psi and a driftmotion IC, as well as maft.
I am looking at south bend stage 3 clutches (holds 360 ftlbs) http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/home.html
has anyone owned one? have anything bad to say? i did a search and one guy said he liked it but he never installed it and thats all i could really find thanks

OR

spec stage 2+ (holds 335 ftlbs)
http://www.lmperformance.com/11950/90.html

i'm not quite sure which one would be the better buy because i heard alot about spec clutches and a little about southbend's feramic clutches

Last edited:

ill Z

Back on the Grind
Mar 18, 2007
USA
I have never heard of a south bend clutch, I would also avoid spec as a lot of the GTE guys seem to have had issue with them tearing apart at the pressure plate and damaging the bell housing. Your best bet is to do a search and probably review what the GTE guys are having success with. Every forum I have been on has given ACT good reviews, Centerforce has had good reviews as well, I have read that they do not last very long though, however they grab excellent. From personal experience I would say avoid Excedy stage I clutches(they are OE replacements) Excedy has a nice 6-puck unit but due to the stage 1 experience I don't plan on using them, ever. If I were to install a clutch in the Supra than I would most likey choose an OE type clutch( Supra ispretty stock) and an ACT Stage II unit in the Mustang. IF anyone tells you they like a clutch but have never installed/driven on it, then you probably should avoid their feedback.

Last edited:

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
so many mixed opinions with spec lol, i would go for the spec3+ but the cost doesn't justify me needing it since my tranny is topped out right now. and the southbend clutches i heard they were made of a material called feramic which a friend said it was good. any one heard of this?