Options for Horsepower?

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I have an 88 turbo with full 3" from elbow back w/testpipe, HKS sequential BOV, HKS megaflow intake, and a act2100 clutch. I want to make my car have a reliable 400-450 whp I have 271 now. I have to rebuild it since I have cam tick and slight rod knock. What internals should I throw in it? And will I need a piggyback or standalone (Maft Pro, AEM etc.)? And I have a Budget of arround 3-4k.

88SupraTurbo

Apr 17, 2005
3-4k could definatly get you where you want to be if you spend your money right. Also being able to do most all the work (engine rebuild, performance parts install, etc) yourself would help alot.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Nate...
3-4K will get you more than just a motor.
looking at 4-450 at the wheels is nothing a solid stock bottom end can't tackle.
Tuning will be an issue, but nothing MAFT-Pro can't handle.
Purchasing a good bolt on turbo will require around 1500, and you can leave most of the fuel system stock, save a fuel pump and good afpr. If you really want 450 rather than 400, go with 550s.

What I would do, and probably get smacked for doing:
rings rod and main bearings from toyota, $350
Full victor reins gasket set, $175
Sell oem headgasket from kit -$30
ARP head studs $105
Cometic headgasket $150
Hone block, surface block, surface head $200
Plastigage $2
Moly assy lube $8
That's it for the long block. $960, call it a grand.

ok, 2-3K left. I'd go with an internally gated gt35R for roughly $1500
Then you need an adapter and oil lines, etc... Loking around $250 for all of that.
So you're left with 1250. you already have a clutch. That's good. ;)
Maft-pro speed dens is $650 or so,
550s go for about $350
walbro for $100
AFPR for $150
More lines from the hydraulic shop for $100
so, you end up 100 short for those misc parts you'll need to get her running.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
IHI-RHC7 said:
Nate...
3-4K will get you more than just a motor.
looking at 4-450 at the wheels is nothing a solid stock bottom end can't tackle.
Tuning will be an issue, but nothing MAFT-Pro can't handle.
Purchasing a good bolt on turbo will require around 1500, and you can leave most of the fuel system stock, save a fuel pump and good afpr. If you really want 450 rather than 400, go with 550s.

rings rod and main bearings from toyota, $350
Full victor reins gasket set, $175
Sell oem headgasket from kit -$30
ARP head studs $105
Cometic headgasket $150
Hone block, surface block, surface head $200
Plastigage $2
Moly assy lube $8
That's it for the long block. $960, call it a grand.

ok, 2-3K left. I'd go with an internally gated gt35R for roughly $1500
Then you need an adapter and oil lines, etc... Loking around $250 for all of that.
So you're left with 1250. you already have a clutch. That's good. ;)
Maft-pro speed dens is $650 or so,
550s go for about $350
walbro for $100
AFPR for $150
More lines from the hydraulic shop for $100
so, you end up 100 short for those misc parts you'll need to get her running.
When someone posts they are looking for reliable 400-450whp, asking about internals, and AEM for 3-4k. I say good luck. Getting to that goal without going over 4k I doubt.

Other things to consider

-intercooler and piping
-Pistons (depending on the blocks condition)
-Head work (even just a valve job)
-Wideband
-Boost gauge
-Custom downpipe
-Boost controller
-Spark plugs
-Brakes? Go fast, you need to slow fast.

He won't need everything I listed, but he's the one that mentioned reliable ;). Just don't be surprised if 4k is gone and you're not runnin.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Agreed, He said "maft-pro, aem, etc"
This is true that things sometimes need to be replaced, 7m seats are pretty hard, I've never had a seal issue lapping them by hand. (I also have 987,098 extra valves....) Boost controller not needed, wideband, yeah... IC and piping...
Fine, you've got me again.
He didn't ask if he could build a well ballanced new car for his budget, he just asked about hp, which is atainable for his budget.
Will his car be safe and ballanced? no. He needs a build budget then, not a power budget. spark plugs? comon! they're cheap...
Ok I am done ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
the Boss said:

No, that is right on. The first thing to do is a tear down before jumping in and saying you need pistons, or anything else. You can make a budget after you know where you stand mechanically on the engine.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Re-using the stock pistons and rods, but with a fully rebuilt head, and ARP Main studs + Rod Bolts just got done today, and including balancing the entire rotating assembly, it is costing me a total of $1900 including 275 for the ARP hardware shipped from titan motorsports (plug! - They take good care of their customers) and 650 for a fully rebuilt and decked cylinder head from portland with more meat on it to work with than my once shaved original head

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
kwnate said:
3-4k will get you a solid rebuilt motor, that is all.

Wow that'd be high. . .you all need to get some friends that do machine work or something. . .A friend of mine owns a local engine shop that does most machine work and builds most performance engines in the area and I couldn't imagine paying that much for an engine rebuild. I get machine work done for next to nothing and killer discounts on parts. . .I'm gonna hate it if I ever have to pay prices like that for an engine build.

I built a 3sgte short block a couple of months back. . .got a ross piston kit, clevite main and rod bearings and thrust washers, new freezeout plugs, bored/honed, shotpeened and reconditioned rods, polished and balanced the crank and a few other random misc things that I can't think of off the top of my head. I did all of the assembly, but for parts and machine work I only spent like 525-550. Sorry to get way off topic but I just needed to comment on that price because even without a hookup, that seems like it'd be extemely high unless you just start throwing money around.

I say spend your money wisely and you can reach your goal. There are people making that HP with all stock internals. I'd say upgrade your pistons and keep stock rods (shot peen and polish or something while they are out though) put some good bearings in there and be sure to have everything checked while its pulled apart. Probably go ahead and get some headwork done too, valve job and a mild port and polish should do the trick. . .do as much on your own as you possibly can, don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with though. Anyways, this is an extremely long post and its almost 4AM and I'm really tired, so I may have missed somethings and probably would add more if I hadn't been up for about 26 hours now. . .but I think I'm gonna go to bed instead, lol

Good Luck!

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
Im doing the same thing. I just put around 3500 into a fresh new motor with all kinds of stuff and I dont owe anybody anything, so im gonna be planning a build this summer and go all out and make sure i can get everything i need for a reliable 450 whp.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
well I can do all the work except machineing , balancing, etc. I can assemble the engine no problem. I have done a head job on a 7mge before it was a breeze.