OPS Leaking - Help suggestions please

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Some history-
Rebuilt engine about 500 miles.
Started to leak oil, just a drop in the garage, and then about two weeks ago there was a major puddle under the car.
I traced it back to the oil pressure sender, removed it and then reinstalled tightly. Started the car and again Major oil dripping down on the passenger side.

Today I went out and verified that it was the OPS. Took a small mirror and with the intake hoses off you can see it doing a major drip, drip, drip.

I pulled it out and put it back in, same thing.

Any sugestions on how to fix this? It looks like there course threads so somebody may have tapped and changed the threads??

Help please.

Thanks
Steve

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Take the sensor out and put teflon paste on the threads. Re-install...if it still leaks, it's the sensor itself.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
also be sure not to over tighten in, and make sure the threads arent damaged, on the sensor and the port in the block it self.

FredMk3

mk3 for life!
Mar 30, 2005
Sept-Iles/Quebec
www.cardomain.com
And OPS stands for what exactly? lol I'm betting you're talking about the CPS. Did you change the O-ring when you did your rebuilt? If not, it's like less than 5$ from the dealer. Should get your leak fixed. Just did my rebuilt too and my old CPS o-ring was all dried out and actually broke in pieces when I removed it. hehe

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL :icon_lol:

I had to do a double take on that as well...he used OPS to mean Oil Pressure Sensor.

FredMk3

mk3 for life!
Mar 30, 2005
Sept-Iles/Quebec
www.cardomain.com
jdub said:
LOL :icon_lol:

I had to do a double take on that as well...he used OPS to mean Oil Pressure Sensor.

:rofl: I didn't think of that.:icon_redf I even did a search here for OPS before doing my first reply, found nothing LOL

Well than do what lagged and jdub said, hehe did this on my rebuilt too.

oh and thanks jdub for the clarification! ;) lol

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
lagged, Jdub, Fred-
Thanks for your responses, I appreciate you help!!

Yup OPS = oil pressure sender.
I was thinking about the teflon tape thing, but wasnt sure if it would survive with the heat and the oil??

I noticed that NAPA has a replacement oil pressure switch for like $30. Which I would glady go and get it it meant that I didnt have to pull out the power steering pump again!!

I will post back about the progress.

Steve

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I'd say just clean up the threads, Steve, and just inspect them to make sure it's never been overtightened and the threads aren't damaged. Then, just wrap some teflon tape around the threads.
Teflon can definitely handle the heat. It's not that hot down in that area anyhow.

I'd wrap the threads with tape and save $30. YMMV