Opinions on vacuum hoses

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
Im replacing almsot all my vac hoses, are silicone hoses better then oem type stuff? I dont want any fancy colors, i just want good clean black but ill buy the black silicon stuff if its better then the rubber stuff.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
From my experience, the cheap silicone vac. hoses like to pinch closed when a vacuum is applied.
I switched all mine back to rubber hoses when I figured this out with my other car.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Silicone, bad idea. Back when I am unintelligent, still say i am still :) I used silicone .. on my brake booster to manifold. it pinched and I lost braking power. I had to press so hard to stop.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
92TealSupra;1164368 said:
Silicone, bad idea. Back when I am unintelligent, still say i am still :) I used silicone .. on my brake booster to manifold. it pinched and I lost braking power. I had to press so hard to stop.

Silicone is fine and a good idea as long as you don't buy shitty silicone you find at most auto parts stores, a good one is www.hosetechniques.com

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
even hose techniques hoses need zipties...

I was given a lot of vacuum hose from the dealer, it's actually pretty damn cheap even if you buy it. Also, it actually FITS instead of the parts store stuff that's standard size and not metric and is too big (requiring zipties everywhere)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Poodles;1164648 said:
even hose techniques hoses need zipties...

I was given a lot of vacuum hose from the dealer, it's actually pretty damn cheap even if you buy it. Also, it actually FITS instead of the parts store stuff that's standard size and not metric and is too big (requiring zipties everywhere)

Some of my OEM hoses failed too, requiring zip ties, they are a weak point without them when running enough boost, so I prefer the silicone.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I priced the 2 hoses that go from the bsv to the charcoal cannister from Toyota fell over got up laughing and went and saw my hose supplier and bought 5 metres of hose for less than 1 Toyota hose ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
We only have standard size hose around here, maybe your parts stores carry metric?

Guess my dealer is better than most then...

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
ok, so what size hoses come on the motor, im confused now, but how much would you guys say is needed to swap out the hoses on a 7m motor? (GTE of corse)