Opinions on Porsche 944

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
:1zhelp:

Well, I'm in the market for another car again, and right now I've narrowed it down to a few, one of which is a 1987 Porsche 944 (2.5L, NA, 5 speed). The other choices are a couple of Mk3 Supras ('89 White Package turbo that needs the HG job completed, and a '91 2JZ-GE swap needing completion), a couple of Nissan 300ZXs, an FC RX-7, and a Saab 900 Turbo (the oddball of the group).

The more I think about it, I'm kind of leaning away from the 944 at this point, since it has a few problems, plus what some of the parts cost, and more towards the Supras again, since I kind of know what to expect with those. Anyway, in an attempt to make this choice easier, I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the 944....

Thanks!

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
944's are great cars, just make sure the front end is in good shape as it cannot be rebuilt.
the front end joints(ie balljoints/kingpins) are sold as a complete crossmember for around 1500 dollars.

what kind of problems does it have?

i have had a few of them

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
No experience with a 944, but from your list, I'd choose, in this order:

1. Running 300ZX
2.89 Supra BHG
3. 944 if not too bad
4.FC

Remember that Porche maintenance will always be expensive. You know the Supra, and have help here. A running 300zx or FC would be best, but I'd shy away from the rotary engine. The forums is always here for BHG help.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The rule of Porsche: Any Porsche with a 4 in the name sucks. Any Porsche with TWO 4s in the name doubly sucks. The exception to this is the 928 S4.

Several of my buddies have owned them at one point or another. Anyone who thinks a Supra is a money pit should try owning a 944.

Admittedly, I'm sure there are a few reliable ones out there, but IMHO they are the exception rather than the rule.

PS: Any Porsche that *doesn't* have a 4 in the name is pretty much the exact opposite, a fantastic example of top notch design that's reliable enough to be a turn key daily driver while still being fun enough to get your blood racing.

Justin727

T-virus infected
944 is ok. When something breaks pretty expensive. lindsey racing makes some neat stuff for the n/a but tons for the turbo version. IIRC they are the main distributor or only one for the 944. Nice light little car, slow as piss, just a tad bit sloppy ride. Rear body tends to rust... Fog lights love to catch rocks. Transmission also is the rear end and the bearings like to go out.
I like the way the car looks but there are many more things I dislike about it then I do the supra. Get what you WANT! Simple as that

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
If I were to do it all over again, I would probably buy the 944 over the Supra. Assuming both equal condition.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Thanks everyone!

As far as the problems go with it, it does need some front end work, so hearing how much that could cost me kinda makes me drift back to the Supra or the 300ZX.... Also, it needs a few misc. switches and whatnot, which would probably cost me $300 or so, according to the prices I got. The speedometer/odometer don't work, so we figure it probably has about 210K on it right now based on what the last reported mileage was on the car, and when that mileage was recorded (185K, 2005, lol). It does have a touch of valve tick, but thats to be expected from the age of the car, I figure.

The price of some of the parts is kinda what got me thinking it may not be such a good idea to get THIS particular 944. I have to admit, they are very fun cars to drive, but I honestly think that I have just as much fun in a Mk3 or a 300ZX. Plus, I know both of those cars fairly well at this point, as opposed to the Porsche, which I know the specs on it, and that they handle fairly well. Thats really the extent of it...

Anyway, heres the link to said car:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/881943619.html

Anyway, I'm going to see how the car drives tomorrow, and if it runs well and doesn't feel like the front end is going to fall off, I might offer the guy $2000 for it or something. I'm really leaning towards that 1989 White Package turbo right now as I really, really miss my old Mk3.... So we will see what happens. If this one doesn't work out, I'll get my Supra or Z again, and maybe save up and get a nice 944 someday, if I ever feel I need to get one later, lol.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Entropy;1159010 said:
Thanks everyone!

It does have a touch of valve tick, but thats to be expected from the age of the car, I figure.

I see this type comment all the time from buyers and sellers alike, and it always leaves me scratching my head.

Yes, it might have some valve tick, but does that mean you should just throw your good money after it, because, for God's sake, it is so old? This is like a seller who says "it's got a dent in the rear quarter, but it was like that when I bought it". So, is he saying you should give him a pass on that one because he didn't cause it? Or how out the interior that looks like 22 cows played a rainy day football game through there........but it looks good for a 20 year old car, because it only has one tear through the driver's seat.

Not picking on you at all! I just don't want you to ever spend too much for a car. Use everything to your advantage while negotiating your price. If you can find one without valve tick for a similar price, then you should definitely take off for the cost of the repair, instead of just blaming it on the age of the car. Some people take much better care of their cars than others.

BTW........Love the Dolphins avatar!!!!! Maybe they can win 5-8 games this year. They are playing much better ball than last year.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
^Thanks! I do hope we can win at least a few more this year.... Namely the Broncos game I'm going to, and the Bills, and more importantly, the Jets, lol.

I see what you're saying about the valve tick, and I agree with you on that, for the most part. If the car really impresses me when I drive it, then I'll make an offer on it. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that I probably want another Supra, lol.

MkIII_Jeff

squirelly wrath!
Mar 2, 2008
Roseville, CA
Before I looked into the supra I was looking at the 944 turbo. A little time of the forums and looking at cost of ownership caused me to walk away. Sure, a good example goes for less than 5k nowadays, but you still have to be a rich fucker to afford the upkeep. JMO