Opinions of the BOSS Stage 5 TO4E 58 turbo

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
G'day all,

I'll keep this short and sweet, I'm looking at getting a new turbo, i want it to be bolt on so i don't have to get a custom exhaust manifold and can keep my 3" dump pipe.

My engine in going to be rebuilt, ie. new bearings, mhg, forged pistons and i'll have a few little drivetrain mods to cope with increased power.

My goal is around 270-300rwkw's

The boss series of turbos look to be exactly what im after, a brand new turbo (not a highflowed 20 year old ct26) and they apparently have a bigger shaft too improve the longevity.

who here has past experience with these turbo's, Are they worth the ~$1500 i'd be paying for one?

Cheers all, any help will be greatly apreciated.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If your only wanting a 58 trim I'd personally go with a stage 4 so you'd have better spool. The A/R on the stage 5 is .81, I'm not sure what it is on the stage 4, but I'm almost positive that's the only differences between stage 4 and 5 as they both have the same trim options offered for the cold side. I was wanting the 61 trim stage 5, but after careful consideration I'm thinking of just going with a GTS cover 66 trim ;).

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
There are a hell of alot of options on the Suprasport website. I would love to hear some feedback from people who bought these turbos.

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
Recently, I was thinking about bolt-on, or full upgrade. I know you stated you specifically want bolt-on, but the problem with us folk is that after we accomplish one thing, we want to step it up.

The beauty of full upgrade is you're no longer constrained to the limitations of a bolt-on. Not happy with the setup? Change the turbine housing. U're going to fortify your engine, so why limit yourself to the capabilities of a bolt-on? The bolt-ons will give you awesome power as some here have demonstrated, but at substantially more psi than say a larger full-upgrade turbo. I'm no way a seasoned veteran in modding, but I like the fact that I've going the full-upgrade way. Yes its more work, but I think it is worth it. I'm only looking for 400whp - but I'm sure that will change. If if doesn't, and I'm happy with it, I can always go more.

I know this thread is not a full-upgrade vs. bolt-on thread, but I thought it might help. With a built-engine like u're gonna have, I highly recommend a full-upgrade. Either way, good luck!

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
thanks for the advice but im pretty keen to keep with a bolt on, i'm not chasing monster power, as i'll just have to keep upgrading more parts of the drivetrain and fuel system. I'm going to be making a large order from horsepowerfreaks.com and the only bolt on turbos they sell are turbnetics highflows, and the LIPP boss series..

I'd like to see 400-450rwhp and would prefer nice low rpm boost, how would a 60-1 turbonetics highflow go? would it be worth getting one witht he ballbearing center?

Thanks again guys,
Ash.