Open for suggestions

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
It sounds like alot of people is a big fan of Maft pro products. From what I've read on this forum alot of people are using Maft pro,but then again, it sounds like a lot of people are having trouble. I have an old school H.K.S. F Con preprogramed R.O.M. with a G.C.C., how I understand it it only modiffies the injector signal and not the timming.
Don't you have to adjust the timming (among other things) when you crank up your boost?
My Mods: 57 trim, 3" exhaust, 550 injectors and Lexus mod,Hoping to get at least 400 h.p. if possible.
Problem: I'm running a dual stage boost control so I can go from Street driving to "racing" I don't think the H.K.S. will work for what I want.
The emange has setting's for both types of driving. (street/race) I'm open for any suggestions for engine mangement system, as long as it's not stand alone. (I dont think I need stand alone)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
depends on what you want.

as for the people having problems, it's a "new" product and the learning curve is steep....and most people don't invest the time to make it work right. they just want something to plug in a work (AKA your FCON....). not so w/virtually any piggyback out there.

do you have to adjust timing? yes and no. it's probably a good thing to look into, but no device other than the MAFT pro can actually READ timing realtime. w/the eman or others you're left to guess....note that the timing advance you garner from "leaning out" the engine via AFM scaling is a larger source of power gains vs. actual reduction in fueling.

how does the eman have settings for two types of driving? perhaps by loading a different map....

i'd certainly recommend an upgraded IC and pipes for your goals. i'd also throw out the FCON and GCC....what they do is fairly unknown and adjustments are limited.

as for what do i recommend? that depends on your budget and goals for the car.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Doc

Thanks for your input on piggybacks, your comments are apprecaited.
What are my goals? I'm not sure what your asking but.I'll give it a shot:

I'm not going racing or looking for out rages h.p.
I'm looking for most reasonable h.p. that I can for the set up that have, I don't think 400 h.p. that out of reach from the mods that I have.

Goal number two: I want my "Hot Rod" to run perfect at any given speed,any given boost,any given r.p.m., any gear, any given time,anytime any where. It has to run perfect between the two boost stages, "hi or low"..Not rich, not to lean,..Just right! Dont you have to adjust timming as cylinder presure goes up?

Important goal: I don't want to wrenching on this car every Dam week end.

Goal number three: I want to occasionly beat up a Detroit car "no offense Doc" I want to beat up " the few, the proud" The Chevy ZO-6" Vette and "wrap their ass in fiber glass". I want to see "Bow ties" in my rear view mirror. Hows that for goals?
The Greddy setting on the emange?? How they have two setting for the different driveing modes? Here a qoute from Greddy:The Parameter Set-up, tab menu format of the Ultimate has improved direct Map control for adding and subtracting Fuel and Ignition. The ability to switch between 2 preset tuning Maps (i.e. Street or Race program) via externally mounted toggle switches"
You recommended replacing my i.c. pipes you mean, better than stock or do you mean bigger in diameter? Perhasp doing both?
Budget?
Where do you draw the line between a blown engine and running right? all at a reasonable cost.

Once again,..:biglaugh: Thank you Doc!!

drjonez said:

as for the people having problems, it's a "new" product and the learning curve is steep....and most people don't invest the time to make it work right. they just want something to plug in a work (AKA your FCON....). not so w/virtually any piggyback out there.

do you have to adjust timing? yes and no. it's probably a good thing to look into, but no device other than the MAFT pro can actually READ timing realtime. w/the eman or others you're left to guess....note that the timing advance you garner from "leaning out" the engine via AFM scaling is a larger source of power gains vs. actual reduction in fueling.

how does the eman have settings for two types of driving? perhaps by loading a different map....

i'd certainly recommend an upgraded IC and pipes for your goals. i'd also throw out the FCON and GCC....what they do is fairly unknown and adjustments are limited.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Doc answer to one of your qeustions:

Toggle Switch (Dip) - 2 independent setting can now be stored and accessed via the “Toggle Switch.” 2 separate maps for the “Injection Adjustment Map” and the “Ignition Map.” (For Rotary engines, 2 separate “Primary and Secondary Injector Maps” and “Leading & Trailing Ignition Maps.”) i.e. one program for “street” and one for “race track

drjonez said:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Koenigturbo said:
Doc
Thanks for your input on piggybacks, your comments are apprecaited.
What are my goals? I'm not sure what your asking but.I'll give it a shot:

I'm not going racing or looking for out rages h.p.
I'm looking for most reasonable h.p. that I can for the set up that have, I don't think 400 h.p. that out of reach from the mods that I have.

not a problem on the help...

i'll assume you're talking about RWHP. it may be possible w/the CT upgrade, just be aware the puny CT turbine, shaft and bearings don't like being ragged on...and may fail prematurely.

Koenigturbo said:
Goal number two: I want my "Hot Rod" to run perfect at any given speed,any given boost,any given r.p.m., any gear, any given time,anytime any where. It has to run perfect between the two boost stages, "hi or low"..Not rich, not to lean,..Just right! Dont you have to adjust timming as cylinder presure goes up?

Important goal: I don't want to wrenching on this car every Dam week end.

eh. that is a tall order. chances are it won't happen w/a piggyback. realize you're attempting to make approx. 2X the output of a 20 yr engine and engine management system. if you want perfect driveability, you might want to consider standalone and professional tuning. if you are willing to make some compromises, a piggyback will work.

Koenigturbo said:
Goal number three: I want to occasionly beat up a Detroit car "no offense Doc" I want to beat up " the few, the proud" The Chevy ZO-6" Vette and "wrap their ass in fiber glass". I want to see "Bow ties" in my rear view mirror. Hows that for goals?
The Greddy setting on the emange?? How they have two setting for the different driveing modes? Here a qoute from Greddy:The Parameter Set-up, tab menu format of the Ultimate has improved direct Map control for adding and subtracting Fuel and Ignition. The ability to switch between 2 preset tuning Maps (i.e. Street or Race program) via externally mounted toggle switches"

sorry, but 400rwhp in a 3500+ lb car is NOT going to beat a Z06. will it be enough to humiliate most mullets? sure thing.

ah, you're referencing the eman ULTIMATE, not the eman. yeah, it can do map switching. nope, no one has made it run on the MKIII yet.

Koenigturbo said:
You recommended replacing my i.c. pipes you mean, better than stock or do you mean bigger in diameter? Perhasp doing both?
Budget?
Where do you draw the line between a blown engine and running right? all at a reasonable cost.

Once again,..:biglaugh: Thank you Doc!!

when i say upgrade the IC, i mean ANY upgrade. while most here say the stock IC is OK, i don't think so. it has a ridiculous pressure drop and is NOT acceptable for any performance app. any drop in aftermarket IC is fine if you want to go bigger, more power to you.

as for the blown engine....the key is tuning. know your limits, watch the wideband, use your head. if something doesn't seem right or you have maintenance issue, look into it and fix it. don't just go cranking up the boost willy-nilly....just my $5.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
What are you engine management running??

(I;m not giving a hard time but) Most people here are running over 400 h.p., are you saying everyone's running stand alones??, of course I haven't kept track of who's running what at the 400 + mark.
I guess I should say in my post,400 h.p. give or take a few h.p.'s. I want the best h.p. for the mods I have, is probaly what should say. I've heard it all, everything to Lexus, 550's, adjustable fuel regulator, walbro, to stand alone. Maybe I'm to I'm to demanding,maybe modifing a few signals from the e.c.u. is enough, rather than all or most of the signals from the e.c.u. I think the critical signals to mod would be the fuel and timming, I could be wrong.

QWIKSTRIKE said:
Standlones for anything over 400+ rwhp to get proper engine management. Eliminate most issues by eliminating in between old ass ECU's modded/managed by piggy backs fighting for ontrol.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
for your modest goal, I think stock ecu with hks vpc and a techtom rom board would be best. This is what I had on my 7mgte, and it was great. You can modify EVERY parameter with the techtom. Only drawback would be finding a techtom tuner in your area... lucky for you, technosquareinc.com is less than an hour away from you, and they have an in-house dyno.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
mattjk said:
for your modest goal, I think stock ecu with hks vpc and a techtom rom board would be best. This is what I had on my 7mgte, and it was great. You can modify EVERY parameter with the techtom. Only drawback would be finding a techtom tuner in your area... lucky for you, technosquareinc.com is less than an hour away from you, and they have an in-house dyno.

sure, except that it will cost you more for a techtom + VPC than it will cost you to go standalone....and w/o a techtom tuner right there you're relying on guesswork to tune your car.