Online Poker

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Who here plays online poker and would like to play a tournament on PokerStars. Thats the site i play at. We'll get a SupraMania Poker Tournament going.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I love poker, but I play for cash. I've never played on line tournaments before, but would like to try. Didn't they ban all of the online gambling? I guess this would be for fun and not for money then.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I was told last night during our cash game that all of the online gambling has been banned. President Bush signed a law stating that it is against the law now because all of the credit card companies have been getting screwed. People would open up a credit card account, charge ungodly ammounts of money to these poker sites, lose their money, and then not pay it off.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Some republican politician made a provision banning credit card companies from working with online gaming companies -- then slipped it into a vital defense bill so it had to pass. Party Poker got cold feet and stopped working with US customers, but Poker Stars is still going strong -- just not with credit cards....

But I've switched from online to cash games -- it's much more fun to see people's reactions in person -- even if the rake is much higher. I do still play in the Poker Stars Hubble NL freeroll tournaments though, so far I've made it to round 2 3 times, but have not gotten to round 3 yet...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Fair warning - I work in the industry. (Bodog.com)

The bill that they slunk through at the last moment doesn't affect what types of gambling are legal or not, as a matter of fact it doesn't try to define online gambling at all - it just makes it more difficult to get money to or from the online gambling companies. Not impossible by any stretch, just more difficult. Essentially they are trying to reduce the number of people who gamble online by making it inconvenient.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to discover the guy who slid this through believes in the theory of the internet being a large set of tubes...