One-Uppers

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
yeah well i have a t-72. you don't want none of this!

T72_cfb_borden_1.JPG

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
I think many people have been guilty of this before. I've told people about my Supra and got the sense that they were thinking "STFU you lying one-upper."

A conversation between guys is more like a story telling session anyway. How many one-upping females have you come across?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
bmoss85;1148409 said:
a shit load in high school. they just do it different than guys and about different things.

Totally true - and it's not just a High School phenomenon. I find that women try to one-up on things that don't really matter quite as much to guys, like emotions. The one-up comes where one has a story that happened to them, or their friend, or their mom, a story that was so tragic or happy or sad - whatever emotion the other in their group are trying to relate.
All in all, it's the same as what guys do: say that something of theirs is "more" in some way than the last person.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
these guys are plentiful in my line of work.

at any time in any given truckstop in the us, you will hear one of these stories

"i was in nyc, and the cop told me to run over the car parked on the corner of the tight intersection, or he was going to have me towed"(and the car ALWAYS described is a jag xjs)

"i was at a scalehouse and dot was giving me a hard time, so i called my buddy the us marshall, and had the dot cop arrested"

"i did coast to coast in 10 hours!My boss/dad/friend/the contractor. had a cargo jet that they transported my whole truck in..."

Have heard these stories told multiple times by multiple drivers over the years, and they don't even bother changing details like the make of the car in that nyc intersection.(have heard it 30 or so times by as many different drivers, and it is always an xjs)

the difference between a trucker story and a fairy tail?

"once upon a time..."

"now this ain't no bullshit..."

greg88

May 14, 2005
Lowell, Arkansas, United States
drunk_medic;1148471 said:
Totally true - and it's not just a High School phenomenon. I find that women try to one-up on things that don't really matter quite as much to guys, like emotions. The one-up comes where one has a story that happened to them, or their friend, or their mom, a story that was so tragic or happy or sad - whatever emotion the other in their group are trying to relate.
All in all, it's the same as what guys do: say that something of theirs is "more" in some way than the last person.

I didn't think about that at first...definitely true.

trucker said:
"i was at a scalehouse and dot was giving me a hard time, so i called my buddy the us marshall, and had the dot cop arrested"

Just smile and nod...:biglaugh:

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
the problem with 1 uppers is not the people themselves, but the people around them.... they lie because they can get away with it, most people are too kind and timid to call bs and tell them to shut it, so they keep doing it.

one of my previous roomates was the worst 1 upper i ever met, always telling me about his houses he owned... his friends s15..... whatever... it was bad, finally one day i had a lie off with him, he would say something amazing and i would 1 up him, back and forth for a while until finally i just gave the jig up... told him i never bought into his bs and that he was retarded...... the lies stopped pretty quick.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
This guy i once knew in high school told me he just got back from the alps. This was a monday. And i said "dude, you were in school on friday" He also told me things like he was a pro bmxer, all these girls he had sex with, how much money he had, his 8.995(he told me this exact time, down to the thousandths) second eagle talon that is in impound, which has a subaru STI trans and stage 3 everything, with not one shred of proof. all these things happened in other countries or far away towns too with people nobody knows or has ever heard of

I also hate the people who use excuses in videos or even in person like...its untuned...that was light throttle...i need a new clutch...i dont street race...my EGR valve isnt working...etc.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Isphius;1149678 said:
yeah he was full of shit. Did anyone realize we are sort of one-upping each others one-upper stories?

I see every reply and believe it 100% lol theres no doubt in my mind this stuff isnt real, unlike a one upper situation.