One MK3 owners opinion

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Posted on SF as well

My thoughts

I have decided that a big turbo is not for me and am moving the SP61GT and going back to stock. I have a good core and am thinking a 54 trim PT upgrade might make me happy.

I have been very happy with the decisions that I have made for my car over the last year or so, but have to bite the bullet on this one.

I went the very conservative route

Lex AFM
550’s
Fuel stuff (AFPR, removed FD, J-Tube) Walbro
ZT2 WB, SAFC
Cartech/AMS IC with Cooleeze Hardpipes
Defcon DP with cutout and stock cat back

I guess my point is make sure you understand what you’re getting into before buying a turbo that’s much larger than stock.

I don’t have the balls (read that as I pay too much insurance on all the shit I own to go screwing around on the street) or inclination to run high boost on my car (I consider high boost 17psi+).

Rambling at this point, but rather than say nothing, I guess I would like to help others have another point of view when making a decision.

I want to be able to pass cars in 5th without having to downshift when I'm driving 70.

Dan

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
good call, turbos are fun but not during the wait. sat in a 300z with the LONGEST turbo lag ever, the pay off was great. the wait was gawd awful as sentras and golfs flew by.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I know what you are feeling. A decent upgraded CT will give me more than enough power to hang with anything you can buy off the lot... and really, who cares about the 1% of the population that drives upgraded vehicles? If I lose to a 1200hp Viper, should I feel bad? :D

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Honestly, now that I made the decsion(sp) I am really looking forward to the stocker. It's very tough to figure out you made a bad move and then have to tell the wife. Someone will be very happy with my turbo, and I will be happy with a CT uprade. I hope to get one local but if not it will be PT for me.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan: Well done on biting the bullet!

Must have been a lot of soul searching went on to arrive at this decision.

Not sure on how modern the sp61's are but I was very impressed at the spool and power potential of my GT30 when I got it.

I'm way old school where Turbo's are concerned and to me if you had potential 5>600 HP you had to wait there was no if's buts or maybe's!

Things have come a LONG way since the last time I was chasing HP!

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Thanks guys, (Jack, Jebus, and IJ) Notice I didn't say 1Jay

It sucks to make a decision where you lose money, but money isn't eveything. I have always prided myself on making the correct decsions and this is as much of me saying "your a "moran" Dan" as anything else.

Hopefully, someone will buy it and be happy.

Dan

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
The Supra on the upgraded CT is not a slow car. Spools up quick and puts gown great power. I myself am not looking for the speedy car. I am definitely addicted to boost. At the same time I know that when I pull my car out in the spring with my new GT67p that it will never be the same. It is definitely a tough choice.

However, whenever I think of boost I think of this MK4 vs MK3 drag race I saw where the MK3 (small turbo) had a beautiful launch and got a good carlength on the MK4 who had a like 4 sec 60' time. Then all of a sudden you hear a whoosh and the MK4 blows by the MK3 for the win. Two times were like 13.6 @ 121 vs 13.7 @106.
Moral: Big turbo's rock.

Dave

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
cts spool up quick but leave a lot to be desired in the top end. I dont know if the the sp61 has this problem too since its internal wastegate. I would love a bpu car on a stock ct again, that way i could do some wastegate mods and keep it pulling to redline. Still no regrets, nothing like hitting that surge point and propelling forward.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Dan

To guys like us who want a reliable daily driver, top end and high hp take a back seat.
Reality - Who is going to be driving through the neighborhood at 20psi and 120 mph and if you're doing that on the interstate your putting yourself and everyone around you at risk. Just a blink of your eye and you've messed up your life and likely someone else's. If you take that to the track then I'll say "wow look at that" and congratulate you on your achievement.

btw; I love your comment on your SF post Let talk more about tuning with the SAFC:
...she is still not understanding why I have to put all this money into a perfectly fine running car.
You know stuff like “what wrong with your fuel injectors that you need new ones, it was running fine when I took it to the store”...
:rofl:

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
yes the CT with an upgrade is a fuckin great turbo... spools like none other and has power like WHAT... boost hits so hard the tires just spin... my tires would be clawing for traction in 3rd gear...

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I'm really leaning towards that (upgraded CT) but will explore all my options. I made 293whp at 12 psi with the stocker. I have all winter to decide, but like Charles said, I am not out there lighting up the freeway and as much I love to drag race, I don't see the track that often either.

Who knows, since most of my parts are easily saleable, maybe a fast spooling turbo on an ebay manifold and FFI might be in my future.

Then again, since I only want to run between 350 and 400 whp, why bother.

stock 87 turbo

whats broke now?
Sep 3, 2005
marshall,wis
most people dont realize that more hp leads to more problems down the road.i am currently building my 87 with about the same mods as you and i am looking for the 400 hp range.how much more do you need? in life there is always somebody with more money or a faster car.more hp is ok if you have the cash and time to work on it all the time.congrates on your smart decision. my son started out with an upgaded ct- 26-lasted 3k,then went to an ebay ss manifold& t4,nothing but problems with drain lines FIRE IN THE HOLE TWICE! and finally is back to the stocker ct 26 and says it is more fun to drive.live and learn from fellow mkii owners.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
With you man.

400whp is easy as pie with our cars. It all depends how you want to get it. At 18psi or so I have no doubt my car would crack 400 on pump gas.

I want low end torque and have really come to appreciate when they say "HP sells cars but TQ wins races"

I understand that I could beat a new Vette (not Z06) from a roll once we pass the 100MPH mark. I have no doubt in my mind.

The problem is that the race will never happen since I don't, and never will, troll the freeways late at night looking for a race.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I have to think close to closed loop normal, 14.7 or so, but will need to consult some logs to be sure.

Depends on the gear of course.

Why do you ask?

Edit-More like 13 after 100%TP until about 8psi then they fell rapidly.

I can send you the ZT logs of my dyno runs if you like. You will need to download the software to view them.

Last edited:

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I was hoping your displeasure with the spool was a tuning issue rather than a turbo issue as the SP61GT is a small to mid-sized turbo. With your fuel mods it is common to run too rich, but you're about normal. You could probably go a bit leaner, but without a way of monitoring knock I wouldn't recomend it. (Leaner of course is hotter, and heat drives the turbo helping spool it). The other main issue is the stock cat-back. When you are running with the cut-out open, is the spool still unacceptable?