On the market for a new airfilter. Need some advice.

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
bluepearl;1634082 said:
This guy has it right. The car already has a cold air intake installed from the factory. If your performance goals are moderate, The stock system with a good, clean, standard replacement filter can flow enough of air to easily support up to 350 horsepower. Aw, but it don't look cool. I rather have clean, cool air going into mine. Don't believe all this marketing bullshit. Spend your hard earned money on maintenance so you can take a 50 mile trip without hauling half your tools, coolant, oil, tape, clamps with you. You will save gas too because of the lighter weight not hauling all this extra crap around with you. Higher performance vehicles, of course, YMMV.

All good points.

Eventually I do plan on buying a complete exhaust system (but going no further, promise!!). Usually the simplest gains can be made from increased intake/outtake. If you let the motor breath better, and exhaust better, your performance will be better, in layman's terms.

I thought that replacing my old OEM air filter (don't know when the last time it was replaced) with a "high performance" one would not only be better for the motor, but have an increase too. I am not in this for looks. I just want to be more efficient.

If I can accomplish this by just purchasing and replacing my stock air filter, then so be it. However, I've been told that these after market filters actually function better -- ie. better filtration. That is what I am mostly interested in.

I just don't want to do a lot of work tearing apart my old airbox installing a new filter.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Boost controller + BOV + exhaust (fuel system after you experience it.. lol) The air filter just has to be good enough to allow the air to pass through really.. unless you are very picky. But once you find out how to set up a MKIII to 10-12 psi (depending on elevation... you would know by hitting fuel cut) and actually do it.. then you find out what a Supra can do without any major upgrades. Personally I wouldnt raise the boost level unless I was certain my engine was strong. The air filter is an after thought for me, like silicon hoses or hard piping the rad/intercooler. Fun and nice to look at, but definitely not necessary.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
sorry to completely tangent off, i jsut dont see a opening a whole thread to ask, how many of you have actually seen the hks filters break apart if maintained properly, my element is literally brand spanking new

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
giterboosted;1634212 said:
sorry to completely tangent off, i jsut dont see a opening a whole thread to ask, how many of you have actually seen the hks filters break apart if maintained properly, my element is literally brand spanking new

Can't find the pics right now, but here's two links to threads with people who have seen the element break apart.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581105&

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267386&

Heat causes the sponge to deteriorate. Check it often, and replace it when it starts deteriorating. Or, sell both of those filters, and get a real filter like an AEM DryFlow or Apex-i; and you won't have to worry about stuff like that.