On my third R154 tailshaft seal

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I have a Soarer R154 with the supra extension housing, everything was perfect but then I rebuilt it and the output shaft oil seal leaks. I changed it twice now with brand new toyota seals, the fullface side facing the rear of the car and yet it keep leaking quite badly. The driveshaft is the same one, nothing happened to it and the surface is almost perfect (the chromed female spline exterior). I even tried a W58 one (some say that it is a tad tighter, not sure) but no dice.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I'm running 3L of MT90 and a 3" aluminium 1piece driveshaft
Is there a breather on the R154 ? why does it keep leaking.

Last edited:

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
Update!!
The driveshaft u-joint was semi-seized, it would block and fuck up when I put the trans in reverse. The trans will get a new seal and the driveshaft is at the shop for a well-due rebuild.

ToySup88

Apr 8, 2005
Twin Cities
Did your leak problem get resolved?

I also have a leak. It started around the same time I got a 1-piece aluminum driveshaft. I replace the seal once but it still leaks. I read some posts where maybe the aluminum driveshaft might have a slightly small yolk diameter.

Anyone else notice a leak with aftermarket driveshafts? Any recommendations for a different seal? I read the W58 seal has a tighter fit on the driveshaft.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
I had to replace the rear housing of the R154 because the "bushing" part of it was fucked.
Along with a new seal and a new DS

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
Bad news, the bushing that is pressed in the extension housing failed again, with another DS, leading to oil seals leaking. There is play now when I move the yoke (1-2mm).

Should I source another extension housing ($$) or order a omega R150 tailshaft bushing (http://www.omegamachine.com/db/R150 Transmission Parts.asp)(Is the R150 yoke similar in OD to the R154?).

Also: Why do I keep wearing out that bushing so quickly? I addressed every factor: Outputshaft bearing, the bushing, the Driveshaft and the center bearing, the gearbox alignement, the Ds alignment.

I understand it is not common for the R154 to wear that part as I'm one of the first.

celica1g

Oct 25, 2013
central coast
shipkiller;1959609 said:
Bad news, the bushing that is pressed in the extension housing failed again, with another DS, leading to oil seals leaking. There is play now when I move the yoke (1-2mm).

Should I source another extension housing ($$) or order a omega R150 tailshaft bushing (http://www.omegamachine.com/db/R150 Transmission Parts.asp)(Is the R150 yoke similar in OD to the R154?).

Also: Why do I keep wearing out that bushing so quickly? I addressed every factor: Outputshaft bearing, the bushing, the Driveshaft and the center bearing, the gearbox alignement, the Ds alignment.

I understand it is not common for the R154 to wear that part as I'm one of the first.

hey mate sorry to jack ur thread but what did you end up doing because im in the same boat !!!! was just quoted 560$$ for extension housing ??

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
A used R154 extension housing with the "bushing" In good shape.
Stock Driveshaft (my 1 piece is toast'd) with new carrier bearing.
new outputshaft seal and outputshaft bearing.

it has been fine since that moment