Omg my engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
My check coolant level light has just started to turn on in the last few days so I opened up my hood and saw a bunch of oil in the coolant overflow reservoir. There was also oil on the radiator cap and it's steaming when i open the oil cap.. I knew that oil had been leaking from my car since I got a year ago but it's like everywhere, some is on the alternator and its just slimy all down the front of the engine where the belts are;

I refilled the radiator with antifreeze but I need to know how long can the car last being driven like this? I don't have the money to fix it at this point although I will have plenty in August...

Oh and btw i searched for anything involving the word oil and it didn't bring up anything, check it yourselves.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
oil* should be searched like that. Just letting you know for next time. Use the * when searching for words that are only 3 letters long.

As for your car, Id say stop driving it if thats at all possible. I have oil in my coolant as well but nothing in the extreme....yet. But I drive that car once in a blue moon because of it. But its undergoing a rebuild. =)

Anywho, clean the engine off, bc all that oil everywhere may ruin something.

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
I can't really stop driving it, i mean I have school; What is the worst that could happen, because to me it seems the whole engine is most likely screwed from the condition I got it, and if I'm going to open up the engine to fix this problem I might as well rebuild the whole thing which I can't do till september...

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Worst that could happen??? HAHA It blows up?? Jk man

Worse that could happen is you seize the motor and you have to buy a complete motor from somewhere else, or do a 1j or 2j swap. But thats not really a bad thing.... :) just sayin

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
airhead04;1518938 said:
Worst that could happen??? HAHA It blows up?? Jk man

Worse that could happen is you seize the motor and you have to buy a complete motor from somewhere else, or do a 1j or 2j swap. But thats not really a bad thing.... :) just sayin

Well i just want to know if like yea the motor might explode. But if it just dies I figure I can open it up and plan for a rebuild with a turbo

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If it dies due to lack of oil, you won't be opening it up and fixing it. It may be cheeper to fix it now than the future drop and swap. Could just be a gasket.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
hcorea;1518918 said:
saw a bunch of oil in the coolant overflow reservoir.

This is a big problem.

hcorea;1518918 said:
how long can the car last being driven like this?

There's no way for us to tell. you run low on oil? it will last the matter of a few minutes. Oil Contamination? it will last a couple minutes longer than with no oil :)

hcorea;1518918 said:
I don't have the money to fix it at this point although I will have plenty in August....

You won't have an engine to fix by august by the sounds of it

Run a search for BHG while you are at it, you probably have one.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ this, which considering the oil in the coolant (and most likely coolant in the oil) makes it a real possibility in the near future.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Not to mention that when it overheats you're going to anneal the head and make that unusable too...

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
Poodles;1518972 said:
When it throws a rod through the block you'll be SOL...

Well i got some advice from a mechanic friend of mine and he also suggested a blown headgasket, although he said it was drivable, the only problem would be warped heads from overheating.

And I asked him about a rod going through the block as well btw and he said that's really not a possiblity...

I don't need a-holes to flame me, I need some actual advice so if you don't have anything worthwhile to say don't say it;
I drove it to and from school today and it's running fine, so idk what is going on when you guys say all this crap about "It'll only last a few minutes"...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hcorea;1519502 said:
Well i got some advice from a mechanic friend of mine and he also suggested a blown headgasket, although he said it was drivable, the only problem would be warped heads from overheating.

And I asked him about a rod going through the block as well btw and he said that's really not a possiblity...

I don't need a-holes to flame me, I need some actual advice so if you don't have anything worthwhile to say don't say it;
I drove it to and from school today and it's running fine, so idk what is going on when you guys say all this crap about "It'll only last a few minutes"...

Coolant into the oil will trash a bearing fairly quickly which will lead to rod knock which in turn leads to throwing a rod out through the side of the block.

Your "mechanic" is wrong, our cars only have one head, it's in his best interests for you to do as much damage as possible as he gets the job to fix it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
hcorea;1519502 said:

You mechanic "friend" isn't very well informed.

To start with, many tests have shown that as little as 0.04% (400 PPM) water in lubricating oil can cut the fatigue life of bearings by as much as 48%.

Moisture is generally referred to as a chemical contaminant when suspended in lubricating oils. Its destructive effects in bearing applications can reach or exceed that of particle contamination, depending on various conditions.

Water may cling to metal surfaces or even form a thin film around solid contaminants such as silica particles. But by far the most damage is done when 'etching' occurs.

Water etching is a common type of corrosion occurring on bearing surfaces and their raceways. This corrosion is caused primarily by the generation of hydrogen sulfide and sulfuric acid from water-induced lubricant degradation. Yes, you read that right water (and anti-freeze) when mixed with oil and heated inside an engine combine to form acid. This eats away the soft surfaces of your bearings in no time.

(Ever notice that a Supra with a BHG for any length of time will have rust in the coolant? - Guess what - the coolant has become acidic by mixing with the exhaust gasses that are getting into the water jacket!)

Remember your bearings are never supposed to "touch" anything but oil. The bearings ride on a very thin layer of oil. Once there is some etching, the oil pressure drops (since the etching has provided the oil with a place to go other than where it is supposed to be) and eventually the bearing touches the rotating surface. After that it's all over.

It is not uncommon to throw a rod through the side of the block if you break a connecting rod. It's easy to do after the bearings get eaten.

Also, straightened cylinder heads are never be as good as a new and the risk of problems developing later, particularly in relation to gasket sealing, are greater. Also anyone straightening an aluminum cylinder head should have equipment for measuring hardness. If the head is down to 65 Brinell, it's garbage.

He's going to make a hell of a lot of money off of you after you completely trash an otherwise salvageable engine.

But hey, if you don't want to listen to us, and your mechanic knows everything, why are you here?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It'll be cheaper now to get a 7M-GE from the classifieds on here and throw that in over a weekend than to destroy yours and try to rebuild it. I have seriously seen people give away running 7M-GE's... they're worth pennies.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
A new head gasket replacement is few hundred bucks, a motor is over a grand, your call.

Can't say I would trust any "mechanic" who would say its fine to drive on a blown head gasket. That shows a either a lack of knowledge or hopes of getting payed for a motor swap. Both negate my use of said individual.

BTW: my car drove GREAT on a BHG, I didn't notice it till I drained the oil and found contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.