OMG Im going to kill!!!! How do i remove twins???

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
This one gay zee is ridiculous!!!
I am currently going single turbo, and trying to remove these little guy's, but i cant seem to do anything to get em lose!!!

Is there some kind of trick or how to thread out there??
I have been searching google so long im dosing off at the computer...

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks for your time

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
patience....pb blaster and really soak those turbo bolts if you can get to them. If you can get to a shop with a lift, that will help, or else it is back breaking work to get those twins off. there is no easy way.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
PB blaster definitely, also whatever is giving you hell, take a step back and think if there is another way you can approach it.

What exactly is not coming loose for you, do you have a cheater/breaker bar of some sort?

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Prob not the best route, but when I removed my old setup, I just cut the bolts off w/ a sawzall, since some of those guys are nice and stubborn. I don't rec. this-- just saying how I did it lol.

PS- beer helps.

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
pnutcar;1331407 said:
Prob not the best route, but when I removed my old setup, I just cut the bolts off w/ a sawzall, since some of those guys are nice and stubborn. I don't rec. this-- just saying how I did it lol.

PS- beer helps.

not a good idea! PB blast it and let it sit for a long time and wait for the stuff to penetrate. I used a breaker bar to get some of those exhaust manifold bolts off xD

beer would definitely help

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
oOoh yea.. Call sum buddies over.. And knock it out one bolt at a time.. Thats the only way i didnt lose my hair that day...

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Got em off!!!
DAng that was a job and a half...
I did cheat and take a grinder/ cutting wheel to a couple of em tho!!!
WWWWWWWOW, i can breath now!!!
Anything else i should know or do while i go single???
Any thing helps:naughty:

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
another usefull tip is to get the engine nice and hot before you do any exhaust manifold/turbo removal.. it makes it alot easier. some careful use of the torch will help you alot, but dont go burning anything important.

supr88

turbo addict
May 15, 2007
calgary or vancouver
and wear some good welding gloves.. thats how I always do it at work to replace manifold gaskets, I am a heavy truck mechanic. be careful, wiggle the bolt tight then loose a few times to avoid snapping the stud off in the head.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Best advice I'd give to someone removing the stock twins that is putting on another turbo setup is to unbolt the front turbo and pull that out by itself after you've unbolted everything else (if you can't get them out together). Another tip is to remove the manifolds. I did this with a 3/8" wratchet and a jack handle from a small floor jack (the handle fits easily over the 3/8" wratchet handle to make a easy hndle extionsion for more leverage). Another good tip is to remove everything from the top that you can, and then put the car on jack stands (4, not just the front end) good and high and then remove the DP and start removing everything on the bottom from the turbos including the downpipe (first thing to remove when you get underneath). The first time I removed my stock twins it took me and a couple friends 2 days. Then again the hoses going to the turbos were original and hard as a rock. A few of them had to be cut off. I removed my stock twins last weekend by myself and it only took me 4 hours, including cleaning up.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
ok well i know I'm a little late to the party, but I ALWAYS have success with a breaker bar. I've encountered at least 4 or 5 bolts that gave me a headache with a regular socket wrench, but came loose in like a second with just a breaker bar.

Best 12$ you can spend IMO.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
YEA. no idea how much pb blaster can help!! breaker bar and cheater bars definately do the tricks! Definately friends and beer too!! Makes the job go a lot quicker and easier!!

Blind Drifter

Apr 7, 2008
South Florida
I loosened my passenger side motor mount, jacked up that side of the motor, unbolted all the feed/drain lines, unbolted the manifold nuts and removed it as one big unit.