Olympus E-510 questions (DSLR experts please take a look)

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone knows about this camera (E-510). I am new to SLR's. My boss is selling his for 350 with an extra lenses. Is this camera worth it? I heard from a co-worker that it has a slow shutter speed. I dont know much bout SLR's, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
3rdgen Guy;1286225 said:
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone knows about this camera (E-510). I am new to SLR's. My boss is selling his for 350 with an extra lenses. Is this camera worth it? I heard from a co-worker that it has a slow shutter speed. I dont know much bout SLR's, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

It depends on what you are going to do with it. Do you plan on getting other high-end lenses for it? If yes, then skip this camera, as there is little support for olympus SLR's.

It's shutter speed (max 1/4000th sec) is fine, and it even has a decent firing rate (3fps), same as the Nikon D80 and only a .5 fps slower than Canon XSi.

It has a decent battery, rated at 650 shots on one charge, but I can can almost guarantee 1000 shots on one charge from that battery if you dont use liveview, especially if you dont use the flash.

If you want to use the liveview function, its no better than canon or nikons, meaning that liveview sucks.

If you are looking for a camera to take to the track or car meet and get decent pictures to blow up (in the day time), then this should be fine. I've sold a half dozen of these cameras, and several have come back to the store to print and they loved it. New, that camera kit sells for like 550 or 600 retail atm.

If you are looking to buy some fast lenses to do some low-light/no flash or shoot portraits, i'd go with a canon or nikon because of the lenses you can find. However, 90% of the SLRs I've sold probably could have been an Evolt and the customer would have been just as happy.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I have that camera and I love it. I did pick up a D90 though but I always have the E-510 in my bag and still use it all the time. It is probably one of the best lower end DSLRs out there.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i just picked up a refurb canon xsi at the end of march and love it, but the new T1i that was just announced looks great too.