older vs newer gte blocks

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
I know this has been discussed already but Ive searched the forums and I cant seem to find just how much each block can take. Does anyone know how much power the older blocks without the extra ribbing can handle?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A lot.

What kind of realistic power are you trying to make.

The later block I stronger. There's no info on exactly how much power each motor will take. Too many factors.

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
Well I just got a 7mgte yesterday with the older block and I have a newer block from a ge. Not sure exactly what I wanna do yet. I guess id like to eventually make around 600 hp but thats a long way off

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Pretty sure the only differences between the two are the oil squirters and oil return/feed for the turbo on the gte. Are you planning on running forged internals or what are you planning for the build?

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Seems to me I have read in older post the newer block can be bored larger than the older block. Have never heard of overall strength issues
with either regarding Horsepower(assuming equal internals used).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Don't want to go more than 40 over on either block. Plus that would require custom pistons.

The newer blocks are about 2mm thicker all around. But the space between cylinders is the same.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
If it were me I'd just go with the older block since it already has the oil squirters etc. With 600 hp I don't think you'll have to worry about the added 2mm

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Did the jdm come with oil feed/return lines? If it didn't I can't see any reason for not using the ge block as they would essentially be the exact same with the late block slightly edging it out with its slight added strength

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
Yea the feed/return ports are the only differences except for the extra ribs on the ge. I could use the ge if I had it drilled but if the gte can handle the power ok I might as well use it

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The squirters help with keeping the pistons cool. There a good thing. Most turbo engines have them.

But there has been number opus high hp 7m that have had them blocked off with forged pistons.

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
Im definitely planning upgraded pistons and rods. So I should be ok without the squirters? Still good reliability? I wanna build it for the street

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Yeah You'll be good on reliability with forged pistons and rods as long as the block is decked and head is milled for MHG. After that the most important thing for reliability is a solid tune and maintenance.

jenny89

Mar 22, 2012
andersonville tn
Yea im gonna tear it down soon and have it checked. Its already been machined and mhg installed by the person who imported it so ill have to see how much thicker gasket ill need after its machined again