old vs new versions of the 7m

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I remember reading that the later 7m cranks and blocks were stronger, and I discovered that the engine in my 87 targa turbo has a later model engine in it. Now, how big is the difference in strength between the older ' weaker' blocks and cranks versus the newer reinforced and fully counterweighted cranks? Is it anything quantifiable in regards to HP and torque handling capabilities?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Pyro15D;1912860 said:
I remember reading that the later 7m cranks and blocks were stronger, and I discovered that the engine in my 87 targa turbo has a later model engine in it. Now, how big is the difference in strength between the older ' weaker' blocks and cranks versus the newer reinforced and fully counterweighted cranks? Is it anything quantifiable in regards to HP and torque handling capabilities?

I think the crank differences you're referring to are when they used 6m cranks in the 7m's.

The 7m block themselves the 'stronger' one has more ripples on the outside of the block along with wider bearing seats.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...lding-best-block-crank-and-head-to-start-with

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for the link! I was just curious as to how big of a torque or horsepower handling difference there was between the early vs late motors. Kinda like the difference between the 2 and 4 bolt main Chevy blocks. Like for making 500 rwhp, would if be necessary to run the later block and crank or would it not really matter?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Pyro15D;1913240 said:
Thanks for the link! I was just curious as to how big of a torque or horsepower handling difference there was between the early vs late motors. Kinda like the difference between the 2 and 4 bolt main Chevy blocks. Like for making 500 rwhp, would if be necessary to run the later block and crank or would it not really matter?

500 rwhp is pushing stock jnternals but i dont think that is pushing either block.

Now if you were going after a 1100 rwhp monster that has a turbo the same size as the block and beating on it ever day at a track.. 7m block with more ribs would be a must.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on eventually building a 500hp motor for the supra and I want to make sure I use the right parts. What you're saying is for my HP level, block and crank early/late doesn't really matter then.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. Either or will work fine.

Just use a quality machine shop and have everything balanced and blue printed.