Old Supra thread about bilstein shocks and sleeves and custom springs

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Hi Everyone its been awhile but Im in the need of a new suspension Im on konis and eibach springs its far from ideal a few years back there was a thread about how to make your supra stick I Think thats what it was called any ways it consisted of a gixxer drew suspension set up utilizing bilstein shocks,theaded sleeve and custom spring rates Ive searched and only came up with the gixxer drew setup for the mk4 Supra
It had part #s and everything that was needed it was also tested and came back with some good #s Thanks

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
I'm looking for info on this as well. The parts list is pretty easy to come up with. It's all in the thread on Supraforums just swap the Bilstein part numbers for mk3 units.

The concern I have is that many have complained the front Bilstein (and probably all OE replacement) shocks are too long. I don't want to lower my car very far but also don't want 1" of total travel.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you guys happen to find the information in question, please post it up for posterity's sake. Good luck in your search. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There's several options, but it's mostly:

- Pick a shock
- Pick a threaded sleeve kit
- Pick a spring
- Pick a pillowball mount

Shock wise, the easiest one here is probably the off the shelf bilsteins because of their removable spring seat.

Threaded sleeves:
- http://www.summitracing.com/search/...e/bilstein-coil-over-sleeve-kits?autoview=SKU
- http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=872

Spring depends on the setup you use, but this is the cheap part of the build IMHO as you're using a "coilover" style spring which are pretty standardized.

Pillowball mounts are up to you, but you wouldn't want to run a silly rubber mount now would you? :D

You can also go the route of using bilstein's racing series that are rebuildable and have a threaded body already. More involved, but better quality if setup by someone that's good at this: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bilst...ock-7-Inch-Stroke-Comp-Rebound-3-7,39775.html

Keep in mind I have no idea which parts in those links will work. I myself have a factory bilstein coilover setup on the front of my car. Downside to coilovers like this is that you can't adjust ride height independantly of spring preload like you can a coilover like Tein.

Tein's are also revalvable, and they offer different spring rate and length of rod, etc.

This all boils down to money.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I think everything else would be easy(ish) with the exception of the top hats. I guess you could by them from cusco or tien but you will pay out the arse for it. Not sure what an "economical" option would be.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Are the Cusco or Tein upper mounts shallower than stock? It's been so long since I've seen a set I don't remember. This could allow more travel if the shock shaft sits higher.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
I'm on bilstein shocks with the three stage circlip adjustment, lowering springs and white line sway bars, nice information and read.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Me? I can't remember the numbers will find out for you all I know its super stiff/rigid handles so well for such a heavy car. Lets just say you feel everything pretty well :icon_surp

It's also good for my wheel setup I have no issues at all and can keep the stock fender.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Well i think one reason that people didn't have a lot of shock travel was because they were using the mk3 top hats/strut mounts which are designed different. Shallower pillow ball mounts or different top hats might work. I am currently looking into seeing what might work.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The pillowball/tophat combination is quite tall (at least the one that's on my car).

It's not like a real coilover where the pillowball and tophat are one piece.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I run the OEM bilstein setup with factor upper mounts. I dont have an issue with shock travel in the front yet, but I run very little preload and use a very thin upper spring guide for the font. All in all it isnt a very good setup. I have 1150 lb/in front springs and 650 lb/in rear. The front still rolls to much so I am considering jumping to 1300 next year.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Reviving this thread because I'm thinking about replacing my suspension again while the car is down getting the turbo rebuilt. Has anyone made any progress towards improving shock travel using other upper mounts / pillow balls or has Bilstein shortened the shocks at all?

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I am building a set now and taking pics so I can post them. I have everything for it but am doing it slightly different. I had all 4 coil sleeves bored different, am adding another c clip groove in the rears to get them to the height I want, and had the 4 shocks machined at the top to work with MK4/SC300 strut mounts.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
The top / upper mounts are going to be the key. What did you do to fit the shocks to them? Is the body side the same?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I have now gone to 1350 lb/in springs up front. the stock mounts are starting to buckle since they have rubber inserts. I am going to switch to a different shock soon because at this point the oem bilstein valving probably isnt the best

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
BFR body side is the same and all that is needed for the shock to fit is file down a flat on opposite side. MK 3 supra has one flat side so the end looks like a D the MK4 and SC300 have a flat on both sides. I took pics of the shock both next to each other to illustrate if I have time ill post them tomorrow. Also I just found out yesterday that I have to leave for work for a few weeks on Monday so I will not be able to post up completed shocks until after then.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Here are a few pics to show the difference between a MK3 and MK4/SC300 strut mount. Also a few pics of my system and them on the car. I am waiting for the springs to settle and will then adjust the height again. Also this saved me 20 pounds of weight not counting the wiring and computer/controllers i am removing. I also have pics of the difference between the MK3 and MK4 rear strut mounts if anyone is interested. Also while you can get any form of sleeve you want i would stay away from the AFCO ones as there top spring perch is designed different and adds about a half inch more (i purchased those first and then returned them).

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
How about Cusco pillow ball strut mounts coupled to some Hyperco hydraulic Spring perches? Cusco strut mounts come in different flavours to accomodate different spring diameters.