Old guy with a great old ride--but you knew that part!

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
I received the can of Eastwood 2-stage clear coat a couple of days ago and shot the center caps today. They turned out great! Smooth and shiny. And I saved $177 by not contemplating that ridiculous quote of $200 the paint shop gave me. I already had a respirator with vapor filters so all it took me was a little wet sanding and fabricating a paint booth from a cardboard box. Not ready to repaint the Supra this way, though...I'd need to find a really big cardboard box!

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Well here's the final product. I think the wheels look great. The center caps are smooth versus the machined texture of the wheels but you don't really notice it until you are up close. What a difference from my original sawblades. The Fortune Auto 500 coilovers are installed and now comes the trial and error part of dialing them in to the ride I like. One thing I noticed immediately was the cornering improvement. Since the car has now been lowered an inch from stock there is a slight negative camber on the rear wheels. My mechanic compensated by giving the rear wheels a slight toe-in. He said this would prevent uneven wear and also give extra grab when cornering. It certainly does that. It feels like the rear end is following perfectly in line with the front tires. Feels smooth and very responsive.

Attachments

• NewampOld_zps4a128dbc.jpg
    NewampOld_zps4a128dbc.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 28
  • MachinedSawblades_zps604b3e1f.jpg
    MachinedSawblades_zps604b3e1f.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Welcome, old man! Good move with the coilovers. I like what you did with the pizza cutters.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
I do feel that lost inch when I get in and out, Suprapowaz! And I'll have to side with 3p141... I don't see the resemblance to pizza cutters. With the vents blacked out they look more like sawblades than ever! I will definitely have to soften the coilovers up a little--things are starting to shake loose in the cargo area, not to mention that old back of mine...

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Old Radar;2033472 said:
I do feel that lost inch when I get in and out, Suprapowaz! And I'll have to side with 3p141... I don't see the resemblance to pizza cutters. With the vents blacked out they look more like sawblades than ever! I will definitely have to soften the coilovers up a little--things are starting to shake loose in the cargo area, not to mention that old back of mine...

Mk3 non-5 spoke wheels are aka "sawblades" aka "pizza cutters"