Old Enough To Drink (legally)

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
Hi All,
Thought I'd post up a few pics of my project car. I bought it new in 1988 and have driven it ever since; tho' tried to keep it outta snow/slush/salt back in IN.
Drove it out to CA in 1989 where it's been languishing in the Norcal sun.
In 90 I went for the HKS PFC FCON, FCD, EBC & suspension upgrade (Eibach springs & stiffer shocks + controller). Exhaust was HKS 65 mm. This year I added EBC Redstuff pads and Powerstop front rotors for a bit more whoa.

Like many here have reported, I worked 'in a vacuum' - the only site I knew about was Supras.com & Sonic. Inevitable BHG in about 92 & went for ARP studs & HKS MHG. Unfortunately tho' I had the head machined (Kaeding racing) but there wasn't any mention of block machining w/ the MHG instructions...AND as I've done w/ many SBC's etc - I sprayed the MHG w/ copper sealer & figured I'd never have to touch it again....but ya-know I always had a coolant-leak problem. Drove me nuts tryin' to find where it was going, a little at a time.
Only recently after discovering SM (no not that kind) & reading for days, I found the culprit. This time I had to pull the engine and machine the block, new rings, rod and main bearings, most of the gaskets replace w/ RightStuff, new seals and a Cometic MHG DRY! It only had about 90k on it and the hone-marks from the factory were prominently on display. Bore-guage showed NO wear/taper & NO ridge at the top...I just slid the pistons out the top bare-handed.
So now it has about 1k on the new build, 30wt oil changed at 500 & a blast down Hwy 5 to LA on the w/e and it's sweet. I located all 5 coolant leaks (heater hoses, etc) before the trip, and it's DRY - using no coolant nor oil & no leaks.
It may seem a bit pedestrian to the 'far-side' group on here, BUT it's been paid for since 1993 & it's still sporting the original paint, interior & sawblades.
AND I've been driving it since before some of y'all were born..........
David

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
I'm having a helluva hard time uploading pix here!!!

The avatar shows the original paint post overhaul.

Last edited:

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
new bullet...

I have several more pix, but the site won't download them - even tho' they're resized the same as the one above.....:aigo::1zhelp:

Keeps resetting the connection

Last edited:

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
Finally have some pix of engine overhaul.
Note every machined surface has edges rounded & smoothed.
AN-10 oil pump line.

Obligatory 'stuffing' pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0507 SM.jpg
    IMG_0507 SM.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0518 SM.jpg
    IMG_0518 SM.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 26

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
End result.

This is the original 1988 paint & wheels.
Stance courtesy Eibach springs & TRD struts.

Attachments

• IMG_0521 SM.jpg
    IMG_0521 SM.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0527 SM.jpg
    IMG_0527 SM.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0531 SM.jpg
    IMG_0531 SM.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 24

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
Coming up - Megan DP, 3" exhaust w/ hi-flow cat, upgrade IC, Lex AFM & 550's, Walbro 255, and ...

Attachments

• DSCF0003 SM.jpg
    DSCF0003 SM.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 19

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
you've owned it since it was new...thats so cool! did i read right? you added an FCD and an FCON back in 1990??? haha i was...3 years old!

truly amazing story!

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
spiller;1455096 said:
you've owned it since it was new...thats so cool! did i read right? you added an FCD and an FCON back in 1990??? haha i was...3 years old!

truly amazing story!

LOL
Yup, HKS electronics and suspension (Eibach springs and ?TRD? struts)
Still like'em.......
That's about the only thing that was available back then unless maybe having something custom-built - IF you could find anyone willing to mess w/ "Jap-cars"...

MA70R

Mar 12, 2009
canberra
wow this has really got me in. im very keen to see how everything comes along with your supra.

lol you bought your supra 6 years before i was born haha it makes me feel like you have owned your supra for ever well for me it does lol.

good luck with your supra and please dont sell it :)

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
sette1994;1455468 said:
wow this has really got me in. im very keen to see how everything comes along with your supra.

lol you bought your supra 6 years before i was born haha it makes me feel like you have owned your supra for ever well for me it does lol.

good luck with your supra and please dont sell it :)

Thanks Jamie,
No worries, I'll probably still be driving it when they take my license away 'cause I'm too senile to drive... :))
:evil2:
I have done all the maintenance, repair & upgrades myself...BHG X2 & complete overhaul just finished. Looking forward to 'more power' w/ the Lex AFM, 550's, DP & Walbro.