ok i need help on auto trans swap

89mkiii18

Sep 28, 2006
st pete
ok i have an auto trans that i think im losing 2nd gear in how hard is it to change the trannies in these cars? do i have to drop the motor or any of that? i mean it looks pretty damn tight in there im thinking with the right tools it can be done without having to drop the motor maybe just loosin the mounts? you guys have any suggestions?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
You don't have to mess with the motor to get the transmission out. Just loosen the motor mounts, this will allow you to angle the motor back with the transmission on it and reach those top bolts with alot of extensions and a universal joint on your wrench.

Also, if you're going to be messing with it anyhow, consider swapping to 5spd.

89mkiii18

Sep 28, 2006
st pete
ok well swapping to a 5 spd would be nice but i heard you have to replace the engine harness and body harness under the dash i would figure its like the hondas and you can just replace the ecu for the tranny and vehicle itself and put the clutch pedal and slave cylinder in am i wrong?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
89mkiii18 said:
ok well swapping to a 5 spd would be nice but i heard you have to replace the engine harness and body harness under the dash i would figure its like the hondas and you can just replace the ecu for the tranny and vehicle itself and put the clutch pedal and slave cylinder in am i wrong?

You don't have to replace any harnesses. You can even use the stock auto ecu. You have to do some rewiring though, for the backup lights etc. Do a search and you'll probably get some exact info on it.

The auto cars even have the holes already marked for the master cylindar.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Currently doing one.

hardest part is getting all the little BS parts rounded up. :icon_bigg

Thank goodness the mkIII's have a place for the clutch pedal to bolt up to, unlike the mkII's. You'll also have to jump the neutral safety switch on the Auto harness to be able to start the car. I got a diagram somewhere that tells you what to jump. If you end up doing the swap and want some advice feel free to PM me.

My first piece of advice...
Pull the engine/trans at the same time. IMHO it's a lot easier and you have a great chance to fix oil leaks, replaces seals, do a timing belt change, clean the engine bay, pretty much do anything that would be a PITA w/ the engine in the car. If you don't have to do any of that stuff, it's your call. But by pulling the engine harness through the firewall, pulling an engine is like a 2 hour job by yourself.
Having to fight lining up the trans, torqueconverter/clutch/ w/e is completely worth it to me. But I'm not lazy, I just like doing it the easy way. Again, it's not the proven easiest way, but I've had a ton of luck w/ it.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ 'Tis easy. All the sensors/other BS under the steering column are removable so you can get to the bolts easily. Plenty of room to work, even being 5'8" 220 :icon_bigg

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Easy::fundy::

Pulling trans....easy

Manual conversion.....Easy....if you have a donor car, not having to source all the parts individually

None of it is all that fun on the floor, but if you can get it up high with room to work, that helps.