Oily BBQ

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Hello everyone..

I've been a member in these forums for a very long time. I used to have a supra back in 2005-2006 but sold and had to leave the country. Maybe some members would remember a black supra with a bypassed turbo from Iraq? Well I'm back and I live in Chicago IL and just like AIDS, the supra thing never comes out of my system, I bought another one! and boy was my bypassed turbo a blessing in the old one.Here's a short version of the story:

I find the car on craigslist It was like a 130miles away i went checked the car with my limited supra knowledge it looked like a sweet deal it's a black 1991 turbo targa auto with 137000 miles. Owner "claimed" 8000miles on a rebuild engine. It looks like it's been rebuilt but in a shed maybe but fine I said how bad can it be? Already done a BHG and changed rod bearings so it can't be that bad. I take the drive back to chicago after buying the thing and everytime I stop in the tollway I start getting allergies and start coughing. Now every tollway i stop i can't help but think...is that oil burning???!!! i pull to the side check and there's a BBQ of oil under the hood. A lot of details but the end deal is...The turbo is basically burning oil faster than the injectors are injecting fuel. Had to add oil a couple of times in the road and got the baby home. I'm tired and poisoned ..I'll check what's the deal tommorow with the turbo...Probably will need to replace it. Not looking for mods now just want a fun daily driver. I'll be looking for a used ct26 soon I think if there's no shaft play which I doubt cause a jet fighter sounds more civilized than the turbo in this supra now...

More to come...Inspection of turbo tommorow. Wish me luck!

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Forgot to put a picture...Car is cleaner now and the hood is black now

hpim1074.jpg

hpim1079.jpg

hpim1069j.jpg

hpim1067.jpg

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
UPDATE!!! Just went out in the car to get some food and I can't help but notice a weird boiling sound. I stop roll windows up and rev the engine and I hear gurgling water behind the dash. I freaked out as usual...Here comes a car with BHG! But I ran the basic check for BHG....Oil is clean...Cap is clean and no overheating or crazy stuff with the overflow thingy. Could it be air trapped in the system? Wouldn't the car overheat if that's the case? Also would the blown turbo has something to do with it? Since it has water lines?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
What does a "bypassed turbo" mean?
Lol never heard of a BBQ of oil.
A blown turbo smokes out the exhaust. Check the metal lines at the bottom of the turbo, they're oil lines (pressure and drain) for leaks.
Otherwise look for other leaks.
Id bet CPS and/or valve cover gaskets. Or something behind the timing cover.

EDIT the bubleing noise you are hearing is air passing through the heater core. Possibly BHG, but definitely air in the cooling system. search "burping cooling system"

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
mkiiichip;1566613 said:
What does a "bypassed turbo" mean?
Lol never heard of a BBQ of oil.
A blown turbo smokes out the exhaust. Check the metal lines at the bottom of the turbo, they're oil lines (pressure and drain) for leaks.
Otherwise look for other leaks.
Id bet CPS and/or valve cover gaskets. Or something behind the timing cover.
Bypassed turbo means you get an N\A exhaust manifold put the turbo away and route the air filter to the 3000 pipe and drive! car will run funny. The slowest hybrid will be faster but if you have to do..then you have to do it.

Will check CPS tommorow although I doubt it because the leak seem to be comming from the turbo side toward the back. Also the valve covers are not leaking at all. it's very dry when you come to the top of the engine. Now the oil lines could be it...But jet-fighter sound makes me thing it's both the lines and the turbo itself. Because it's amazing...I park the car pop the hood and the thing is leaking from the frame everywhere. but only the turbo side not the other side. And also the brakes are screaching because of the oil that spilled on the calipers.

Results = tommorow!

Any input on the gurgling sound?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
mkiiichip;1566613 said:
EDIT the bubleing noise you are hearing is air passing through the heater core. Possibly BHG, but definitely air in the cooling system. search "burping cooling system"

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Now that's gonna have to wait until I go to my friend's garage to lift the nose of the car and burp the cooling system....Hope it's no BHG though....

Also it didn't make this on a cold start...ONLY when revved to about 3K

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Well here's my plan for tommorow I will check the oil leak first because that thing is killing me and it can lead to rod knock real easy if it goes low and with this (sorry toyota lovers) STUPID dipstick that you can't see shit on I really don't wanna take a chance. I took a look at supras.com and saw their suggestion for using a hacksaw to make lines on the opposite side of the stick to check the oil and it makes sense to me. And then I will try to burp the system. I actually have the....ummm...yellow thingy to burp the system. I'll try that after the turbo\oil leak check up and I NEED my speedo to work cause I live in a place where police think that everyone who drives a car that you can't notice behind an SUV is a speeder so I can't play with that.

Here's a list of things that I KNOW!(could be alot of more things that are about to explode in my face) that are wrong with the car :

1- Huge oil leak which is basically everywhere.
2- Air in heater core with a possible BHG although I don't have any other symptoms but I didn't check anything yet.
3- Speedo doesn't work, Previous owner said he "snapped" the cable where it connects to the speedo behind the dash. Gonna take a look at that and see what needs to be changed.
4- The Diffrential needs the front bearing replaced soon. It's whinning but that's not gonna kill me soon cause it's a slight whine and the previous owner gave me a new seal that he bought. Just need the bearing and an impact\tourque wrench and take it out and change.

That's about it for now. It needs rear tires but that's gonna have to wait until No.1 and No.2 are solved cause there won't be a big need for tires for a car that's gonna sit while I fix the leaks and my possible BHG.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
UPDATE! I checked the car today with day light. The turbo has shaft play...I wouldn't describe it as horrible but again I donno maybe it is. The fins are fine a couple of small bends but nothing major.

Now the intake has oil everywhere...And I mean everywhere. 3000 pipe is dripping and the oil looks new cause I changed the oil yesterday meaning it's an on going thing. I checked the oil and it's one line low just under the F mark...but the oil is all over the place on turbo side...I mean you open the hood with the car running and you get oil on your face cause the fan is blowing it everywhere. I have to wash it and see where does it start leaking again. All oil looks fresh there has to be oil leaking somewhere. The main place where oil is constrated and looks very fresh is under the CPS and there's even oil inside the CPS and I mean not moist ...A puddle of oil inside the cps.CPS seal? and there a very loud tapping noise seems to be comming from the valve covers...I'm thinking lifters or something like that? Also I called the previous owner (to wish him a very happy life) and asked what kind of oil he used to put in the thing and it was 20w40 and from my limited knowledge that pretty heavy. Maybe the seals are not the best so when I went and put 5W30 it started leaking everywhere. Inputs and opinions would be really appreciated.

This is my plan as of now...I will clean the engine. Put 20W40 and see what happens. Oil pressure on the stock gauge seems to be normal and engine is not making weird noises (other than the tapping sound) which is not rod knocking. I know how that sounds.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Welcome back to SM. Sounds like you're earning your Supra stripes again. I just got my 2nd Supra on 12/31 after almost 10 years without one, and it has spent the last 6 weeks in the shop. LOL And when the mechanic gets done with it, I still need to do some minor repairs in the driveway and then send her to the body shop for new paint.

For me, the difference between the first time, when the car drove me insane, and now... the car is not my DD the second time around, so I'm far more relaxed about its issues.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Dingoboy;1567200 said:
Welcome back to SM. Sounds like you're earning your Supra stripes again. I just got my 2nd Supra on 12/31 after almost 10 years without one, and it has spent the last 6 weeks in the shop. LOL And when the mechanic gets done with it, I still need to do some minor repairs in the driveway and then send her to the body shop for new paint.

For me, the difference between the first time, when the car drove me insane, and now... the car is not my DD the second time around, so I'm far more relaxed about its issues.

Thanks man...Well it's not my DD if the wife is not upset about me smoking in her minivan...If she is then it is my DD and I have to deal with the smoke.

To sum things up with this car, After speaking with the previous owner and wanting more info about the engine he tells me that he rebuild the engine with stock parts 3 years ago and he never drove it for 2 complete years. He didn't even start the thing. So when he fires her up I guess every single seal got dried up and now it's leaking everywhere. Now I don't mind the turbo burning some oil..I'm not even boosting with the thing. I just don't want to leak oil like that.

Here's a funny story. the exhaust is leaking on the flex pipe right after the turbo elbow. So I thought I can't do anything about that so I took it to an exhaust shop nearby. And the guys looked at it. My thought was that they were gonna mend it somehow maybe weld the leak or change a gasket or something but no....the guy comes back to me and tells me it's toast you need to change it. I told him aha so you're gonna weld a new peice or something he said no we'll call the dealer and see how much is it...When he said that I know it was a joke...He makes a couple of calls and comes back and tells me the deal is asking $1500.99 for the down pipe with the catalic converter and I charge 200 to change so it's the grand total of 1700.99 to fix it.....YEAH RIGHT that's a little bit more than what a fully built motor would cost and a lot more than what i got the car for...so I just left. I guess I gotta find another shop to mend it before it chockes me to death with smoke..

pocketkiriyama

Jan 31, 2009
Illinois
If only you live near the shop where I get my things done. They would probably do it for pocket change...as long as you say I referred you.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
pocketkiriyama;1567807 said:
If only you live near the shop where I get my things done. They would probably do it for pocket change...as long as you say I referred you.

well i can allways drive to that shop! I might need to do that sometime soon because I got an exhaust leak and oil leak that needs to be taken care of asap