Oil Thermostat

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I'm getting ready to sit down and order the necessary things to replace the stock oil filter mount and relocate the filter to somewhere a bit more accessible.

Now, I have one simple concern. I get the whole point that a t-stat in the line will help warm up the oil faster which brings it to proper operating temperatures faster. Thing is this, in stock form, the car doesn't bring one so this is an added precaution. Do I *really* need one? My concern is not money, but the fact that it's one more thing that can go wrong. The really good t-stats aren't cheap and it's a drag if something that simple malfunctions and something really bad happens.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

One other thing. I have read really mixed reviews on the relo-kits sold on Summit Racing, Trans-dapt ones to be exact. I know there was a thread in this forum with someone mentioning how they can snap in half, or maybe I have them confused with another brand. What's the verdict on this?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Stock system is an ass backwards Bypass setup so even when full open at the lower engine temps it's not going to overcool and delay the Oil getting to operating temps as fast as possible.

On a full flow system such as you'll be fitting a T Stat is desirable.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Take a good look at the Canton relocation pieces and an Earls T-stat. All of the parts are really nice and well worth the money. I have to thank IJ for his input to me on these parts because they work and ARE well worth the money.

-Fred