oil temp sensor location

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
where should the oil temp sensor be located?

currently i have my temp guage in a sandwhich plate between the block and my filter relocation plate

engine -> sandwich plate (oil temp sensor is in the plate) -> oil filter relocation adapater -> filter -> t-stat -> oil cooler -> t-stat -> engine

even with my oil cooler i still see oil temps hit 120C + after a few laps, i can run a lot longer then i could before i had an oil cooler, but my temps still get hot pretty fast. now i went and bought a bigger oil cooler (havent got around to installing it yet) but now i started thinking that my sensor location is BEFORE the cooler, so im seeing the oil temps as they leave the engine and before the cooler has had a chance to do its job.

is there a better place to put my sensor? or is this still a fairly accurate place to look at oil temps? the temp sensor is a big long thing so i dont see any way to mount it in the line coming back to the engine. my only options i can think of would be, leave it where it is, add a bung to the oil pan and put it there (but oil pan temps and temps leaving the engine should be pretty much the same shouldnt they? since oil is pumped from the pan, out to the filter, then it gets to the bearings and stuff on its way back into the engine right?) or put it where the stock oil pressure sender is (not entirely sure where this sits on a 1jz or if it would event fit in that location so im not sure if that would be any better or not)

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
starscream5000 said:
Get a BSP to NPT adaptor for the stock oil pressure sensor location and you can mount it there, along with an aftermarket oil pressure sender. Two birds with one stone.

Here it is

i already have a pressure guage in the return line coming back from my cooler

is the stock pressure sensor location a better spot for oil temp then where i have it coming out of the engine?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Your oil temps seem very high. Where you have it now is where the oil temps are after they have cycled through the engine, I'd trust a temp reading from oil coming directly out of the block versus right after the oil cooler anyday.

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
starscream5000 said:
Your oil temps seem very high. Where you have it now is where the oil temps are after they have cycled through the engine, I'd trust a temp reading from oil coming directly out of the block versus right after the oil cooler anyday.

500rwhp + on a pretty aggressive (leanish) tune. makes for lots of heat.

does anyone have any experience running oil temp guages in different places? if i use the stock sender location i would figure thats kinda middle of the road, its post cooler and part way through its cycle through the engine i would think, so i guess that seems like the best place to measure right? or am i more concerned with how hot its getting AFTER its been through the engine which is what im currently measuring

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
how are your normal cooling temps? if the head isn't being cooled by the main cooling system, the oil will take a hell of a lot more heat...

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
Poodles said:
how are your normal cooling temps? if the head isn't being cooled by the main cooling system, the oil will take a hell of a lot more heat...

coolant temps look to be ok. i only have the stock gauge since my omori one died and i havent got a new one yet, but it never even gets to half way (it used to run at around half until i got a koyo rad, now it never sees half)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
120c = 248f

In road racing you have to go to a thicker oil.

248c is actually low as during road racing it is extremly EASY to climb to 300+ degrees for the oil.

248 is good but you might want to consider a thicker oil if road racing IF your oil pressure is low. If oil pressure is high (above 10psi per 1000 rpm) then a thinner oil should help shed some heat.

also

you want to see the oil temprature BEFORE it gets cooled. You need to see what type of heat is being moved by that oil. Post oil cooling is if you want to do a before after ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
On which side is your oil temp sensor located on the sandwich plate...the feed to the filter/cooler loop or the return to the block?

Also, what are the measurements of your oil cooler? And, what brand/type...fin & tube or a stacked plate?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
dansmith11 said:
i already have a pressure guage in the return line coming back from my cooler

is the stock pressure sensor location a better spot for oil temp then where i have it coming out of the engine?
place a temp sensor inplace of the oil pressure sender... isn't that what you're asking?

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
jdub said:
On which side is your oil temp sensor located on the sandwich plate...the feed to the filter/cooler loop or the return to the block?

Also, what are the measurements of your oil cooler? And, what brand/type...fin & tube or a stacked plate?

its located on the side that feeds to the filter/cooler.

my cooler is a B&M supercooler, its a stacked plate type

70273 - SuperCooler rated at 15,000 BTU 11"x5-3/4"x1-1/2" (Racing model doesn't include installation components and has female 1/2 NPT fittings). Can also be used for all fluid cooling needs

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
dansmith11 said:
its located on the side that feeds to the filter/cooler.

my cooler is a B&M supercooler, its a stacked plate type

70273 - SuperCooler rated at 15,000 BTU 11"x5-3/4"x1-1/2" (Racing model doesn't include installation components and has female 1/2 NPT fittings). Can also be used for all fluid cooling needs

An excellent cooler...might be a bit small for your needs though. You could go with a larger one or get another the same size and hook it up in parallel configuration using T-fittings.

Where you are measuring temps is after the oil has done it's job and absorbed engine heat (like you said). You would like this temp around the 110 deg C...like Figgie said, what you are showing now is not that bad. However, running a thicker oil is a double edge sword...you will reduce flow and drop the amount of oil going to the cooler. If you have good pressure, use a thinner oil.

BTW - what oil brand/weight are you using?

dansmith11

Mar 2, 2007
calgary
im running redline 10w30, and i have good oil pressure, oil pressure doesnt appear to drop at all even when oil temps hit 125C so i think im ok on my choice of oil.

last night i threw in a bigger cooler , same style, just the 11"x11"x1-1/2" version, rated for 29,000 BTU, so just about double the cooling capacity. i have another track day this weekend so we'll see how it goes.