Oil system upgraded to full flow...start engine...uppgrade again, ideas?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
yesterday was an amazing day for me. I drove my supra for the first time as I intended stage 1 upgrades would be. (I drove it for a couple of days during the winter while changing garage but with stock oil, exhaust and intake systems).

Now I have upgraded oil, exhaust and intake systems :)

On the day before yesterday (11 in the morning) I brought a friend to the garage to do the final stretch of wrenching before taking it of jackstands.

Yesterday at 11 in the morning there was a small auto/project show at my work where I wanted to show my supra. It's not like an full on auto show, more of a gathering for employees to show other employees what they are doing while not at work.

At 2 in the morning yesterday we were ready for a test start of the engine to look for leaks.
I had a couple at the perma cool thermostat, added thread tape and then it was over for the thermostat, it had cracks in it. I didnt even notice the first one until oil was coming out. The second one, I heard a light sound while installing the AN/NPT fittings.

I fear that the same thing will happen to my perma cool filter mount.

My filter adapter is fine...but that one is not cast. It's a canton.

So now I need a new thermostat unless I can weld the AN/NPT fittings to it at work and weld the cracks. Have anyone tried this?

What I would like is a filter mount with the connections up, but I cant find any forged one like this. Do you know of any?

When it comes to the thermostat I first though of the mocal but that one is cast as well but there's no need for AN/NPT adapters so it might work anyway.

The Earl's 501ERL is forged and does also have gauge outputs which is something else that I want. The problem here is that I don't know if it will fit where I want the thermostat in my setup. Does anyone have the outside dimensions of this item? And could you also tell me how the gauge ports are arranged?
If I go with the 501 I would also need AN10 O-ring fittings, correct?

We managed to drive my supra to my work, we were ready at 9.15 yesterday morning ;)
We had replaced the broken thermostat with pipes and hoses. So we had to remove the AN hose ends. Can I reuse the hoses with AN hose ends without cutting of something at the ends?

Thanks for reading
/Marcus

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
ok, so then it stands between the mocal and earl's 501erl.

Then it's quality cast(mocal) or billet 501erl.
The price is about the same when the needed AN o-ring adapters are added to the 501erl.
Which one is better?

I found earl's 2178erl which is a billet filter mount with ports up which means that I can keep my original hose routing. Does anyone know of any other filter mount with ports like this?

Again about the hoses, can I re-use the hose where there has been hose ends connected without cutting?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Mocal thermostat: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1536/Mocal_Remote_Oil_Thermostat

Earl's 501erl: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-501ERL/
Required adapters for 501erl: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-985010ERL/

Here is the filter mount that I'm thinking about: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-2178ERL/

Here is the thermostat that I had: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-1160/
When looking at the prize I can see why it failed.

This is the filter mount that I have, but want to replace: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-1211/

With reusing the hose I mean that I have these AN10 hoses in my oilsystem which I had to remove the hose ends from to be able to bypass the thermostat. Is it possible/safe to mount the hose ends again on the same hoses?

Another idea I'm having is what if I weld the AN to NPT adapters to my t-stat with cracks in? Bad or good idea? As I see it, the problem is the NPT which expands the material in the t-stat which will crack, but if I weld the cracks and the NPT fittings directly to the t-stat, the problem is gone.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran the Mocal T Stat last time and it's a good unit, the Earls billet one more than likely uses the same internals but being billet is going to be stronger and replaceable fittings are a nice touch.

I used the Permacool stuff early on and while it works as you found it's cheal cast junk and prone to cracking/breaking, I broke my Block adaptor in half unscrewing it from the engine...

Can't see you having much luck welding fittings into the Junk unit and then getting the internals back into it due to warpage, this is part of the heart of your engine , a fialure here will trash all of your good work.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Can you clarify what you mean by "reuse" them?
(pics might help)

If they're screw together AN Braided style no probs, Pushlocks as long as you're careful cutting the hose again not an issue.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
hehe the pics won't show much of the cracks since I tried to weld it, or wait, one of the cracks can still be visible :)
I will hopefully have the parts in a little bit more than a week.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
hehe I hope so :)
no pics so far, but I have installed the thermostat and since it's a bigger unit I had to shorten most of the hoses and I think thats the way to go when replacing an AN hose end. One hose (the longest one of course) needs to be longer.

I'm having some problem with my new filter mount, the mounting plate is thicker and doesnt have the holes in the same place as my old mount. So I'm not really sure on how to mount the new one :(

I could mill down the mounting plate a bit since it's more than thick enough and then drill a new hole and mount it like the old one. But this is a nicer unit and deserves a better install.

Can someone post pics of mounts installed under the headlight? Or other places aswell?