Oil still leaking

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
The gray RTV crap started leaking - I re-did it with the Toyota stuff and now it's good. You can tell just by looking at the cured sealant, which is the better quality. For the twenty bucks, I'll always use the Toyota stuff and know that I won't have to do my work over.

Also, Aj's right, you are supposed to put a dab on those front caps.

mkIII213;1031962 said:
Alright, awesome! Is there any difference between gray rtv and the stuff you got from toyota?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The FIPK is good. The Right Stuff(Napa sells it, I believe), will seal thru diesel oil, some of the nastiest stuff on earth. I have some good friends who do nothing but diesels, and this is what they recommend.

No matter what sealant you use, make sure all surfaces are clean and oil free to get a good seal(hint). I typically use Ultra Black High Temp. RTV. Good stuff, as long as all the surfaces are clean(hint hint).

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
cuel;1032551 said:
The FIPK is good. The Right Stuff(Napa sells it, I believe), will seal thru diesel oil, some of the nastiest stuff on earth. I have some good friends who do nothing but diesels, and this is what they recommend.

No matter what sealant you use, make sure all surfaces are clean and oil free to get a good seal(hint). I typically use Ultra Black High Temp. RTV. Good stuff, as long as all the surfaces are clean(hint hint).

[/I]

I may just head up to napa again then! And yes I did put a dab of rtv on the cam covers, it looks like it is behind the cam gears where the oil is leaking from.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
***UPDATE***

After taking off the cam gears and rear timing cover, there weren't any oil seals. Which was the reason for all the oil leaking. Its fixed and there isn't any oil leaking. However, after letting it run for a little bit and then turned it off, I then tried to turn it over again and there was nothing. It acted like the battery was dead, but this battery isn't even a month old. I was told that some oil may have gotten into the alternater so I took it off and cleaned it with B12. And it still won't start, it just clicks like a machine gun. Any suggestions? It seems like once I fix one problem, another problem starts. AH!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;1035914 said:
***UPDATE***

After taking off the cam gears and rear timing cover, there weren't any oil seals. Which was the reason for all the oil leaking. Its fixed and there isn't any oil leaking. However, after letting it run for a little bit and then turned it off, I then tried to turn it over again and there was nothing. It acted like the battery was dead, but this battery isn't even a month old. I was told that some oil may have gotten into the alternater so I took it off and cleaned it with B12. And it still won't start, it just clicks like a machine gun. Any suggestions? It seems like once I fix one problem, another problem starts. AH!
Put a good charge on the battery. And check the tension on your belts.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;1036008 said:
Put a good charge on the battery. And check the tension on your belts.

Tried jumping it. It wanted to start but wouldn't. Any chance a little oil getting in the wrong place would effect the starting?