Oil still leaking

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
After replacing a BHG, I reassembled everything. After running the car for a little bit (3-5 minutes), it would start leaking oil at the front of the engine where the head meets the block. After reading on it, I figured out that I didn't put sealant at those two spots right under the HG like it says in the TSRM. So I pulled the head off again in order to fix that little problem, and after installing everything again and remembering to apply RTV to that location and to the spots on the valve covers, it continued to leak oil. Not as much as before, but still a considerable amount.

So my question is, what else can I do to stop the leak in order to have my DD up and reliably running again?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;1029194 said:
After replacing a BHG, I reassembled everything. After running the car for a little bit (3-5 minutes), it would start leaking oil at the front of the engine where the head meets the block. After reading on it, I figured out that I didn't put sealant at those two spots right under the HG like it says in the TSRM. So I pulled the head off again in order to fix that little problem, and after installing everything again and remembering to apply RTV to that location and to the spots on the valve covers, it continued to leak oil. Not as much as before, but still a considerable amount.

So my question is, what else can I do to stop the leak in order to have my DD up and reliably running again?
Did you have the block decked? If so did they deck it with the rear timing gear cover on?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Definitely a possibility... another is that if you had already put the head down on a stock type graphite HG you may have ruined it when you removed the head the second time.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
CRE;1029337 said:
Heh, I just assumed it was new... if not then there's another major possibility.

Yes, after taking it apart again the hg had a few little issues, like a little bit of the hg was ripped off so I bought a new to replace. So a new hg was used the second time.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;1029466 said:
Yes, after taking it apart again the hg had a few little issues, like a little bit of the hg was ripped off so I bought a new to replace. So a new hg was used the second time.
Can you tell where it's leaking from? Are you sure it's the HG? Have you checked the cam seals? Or the oil pump drive seal?

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;1029481 said:
Can you tell where it's leaking from? Are you sure it's the HG? Have you checked the cam seals? Or the oil pump drive seal?

While the car idles, oil is coming from the front, by the cam gears, where the head meets the block. Of course the higher the rev, the more the oil comes out. It just seems a bit odd considering a new head gasket and plenty of rtv on those two notorious spots. The head was just rebuilt with new seals, valves, lifters, etc. Plus there are no signs of it leaking around the cams, it's just that one spot at the front. Maybe some cleaning and rtv would do the trick...?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
It could be the cam seals behind the back timing cover bolted to the head. Did you put new ones in? They can be kind of tricky to install, and easy to mess up. Put some leak detection dye in the oil. It'll make it easy to trace the leak. You can get it at any parts store.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;1029493 said:
While the car idles, oil is coming from the front, by the cam gears, where the head meets the block. Of course the higher the rev, the more the oil comes out. It just seems a bit odd considering a new head gasket and plenty of rtv on those two notorious spots. The head was just rebuilt with new seals, valves, lifters, etc. Plus there are no signs of it leaking around the cams, it's just that one spot at the front. Maybe some cleaning and rtv would do the trick...?
I think I figured out your problem. You said "plenty of RTV on those spots". You're only suppose to put a small bead across the two areas and smooth it with your finger. If you put too much it can acually keep the HG from laying flat across there. If that is the case IDK short of doing it again, or possibly after it heat cycles a couple of times, you can retorque and hope for the best.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah, that spot sucks... too much RTV and you're hosed... too little and it blows out... then you're hosed. I recently dealt with fixing the latter.

Like cuel said, dye is a good idea for finding the source of the leak.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;1029535 said:
I think I figured out your problem. You said "plenty of RTV on those spots". You're only suppose to put a small bead across the two areas and smooth it with your finger. If you put too much it can acually keep the HG from laying flat across there. If that is the case IDK short of doing it again, or possibly after it heat cycles a couple of times, you can retorque and hope for the best.

Wow, thats retarded. I really don't want to take it off for the fourth time. So like you said, just let it warm up then torque it back down? Or would it eventually level out over time?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;1029804 said:
Wow, thats retarded. I really don't want to take it off for the fourth time. So like you said, just let it warm up then torque it back down? Or would it eventually level out over time?
No it won't "level out", it may squeeze a little when you retorque it depends on how much you put there. I'd make sure were it's coming from like cuel suggested get some dye and check.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;1029830 said:
No it won't "level out", it may squeeze a little when you retorque it depends on how much you put there. I'd make sure were it's coming from like cuel suggested get some dye and check.

I will def try the dye. Thanks for the help guys!

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
***UPDATE***

Looks like oil is also leaking from around the cam gears. How can this be fixed without pulling the whole engine apart?

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
I had similar problems on my 22Re, I went and got the toyota sealant ($20 a tube from the dealer) It's the best and worth the money. That's the only stuff I use for oil pans and any other oil related seal - no gasket. I think they call it FIPG. Good luck -

As for the cam gears, I don't see any other way to do it other than pulling off the plastic cover and pull off the camshaft sprockets. I would make sure your marks are all lined up at tdc. Get new cam seals and a seal installer, put some oil on the new seals before carefully driving them in.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
67rstbkt;1031895 said:
I had similar problems on my 22Re, I went and got the toyota sealant ($20 a tube from the dealer) It's the best and worth the money. That's the only stuff I use for oil pans and any other oil related seal - no gasket. I think they call it FIPG. Good luck -

As for the cam gears, I don't see any other way to do it other than pulling off the plastic cover and pull off the camshaft sprockets. I would make sure your marks are all lined up at tdc. Get new cam seals and a seal installer, put some oil on the new seals before carefully driving them in.

Alright, awesome! Is there any difference between gray rtv and the stuff you got from toyota?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I believe you're suppost to put a "dab" of RTV in the corners of the front cam caps also. So it may be were it's leaking, if you skipped that instead of the seals themselves.