Oil Spring Relief valve

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
In the 7mgte fiter housing, is the spring and relief valve.
I rebuilt my engine over the course of a year so some things came up missing. Now I don't ever REMEMBER removing this bolt spring and valve, but after starting it last week, It reads about 2/lbs of oil pressure!!
I took the oil relief bolt out and the spring was very loose under the bolt. And when pulling out the spring a "valve" did not come with it. I tried shoving a magnetic stick in there to get the valve out of the housing but that came up empty as well.
Is it possible I forgot to put the valve in? Or does it really stick into the housing and wouldn't come out with the spring/ magnet? How much tension is supposed to be on that bolt when removed? Because mine had 0...
and im just scratching my head if this could be the cause for the low oil pressure.

Currently hooking up a manual gauge instead of the electric one in the cluster.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Unless there are some contaminates in the bore hanging up the valve, it should slide out with almost no effort.
I highly doubt there isn't one inside but anything is possible.
Use a small extension magnet to reach into the bore and pull it out.
Don't rely on the magnet strength at the end of the spring to pull out the valve.

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
Could not having the valve in there contribute to the head being dry?
I pulled off the covers while I was re-adjusting timing and the cam Journals and gulleys were bone dry.:nono:

I shimmed the pump when I put it in, and I also did the braided line upgrade.
I put the magnet extension in as deep as the spring would sit, and it came out with nothing. lol.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Uh yeah...
Sounds like you are actually missing the valve.
The oil is finding a much easier path back to the pan through the wide open port the valve is no longer blocking.
Pick up a new one from the dealer and check your bearings....not a good start for an engine.

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
Piratetip;2017991 said:
Uh yeah...
Sounds like you are actually missing the valve.
The oil is finding a much easier path back to the pan through the wide open port the valve is no longer blocking.
Pick up a new one from the dealer and check your bearings....not a good start for an engine.
I haven't ever let it run over 20 seconds or more. and its only been started about 5 times to check timing marks with light. So Im hoping the machine shop put the tolerances tight and itll still hold tough.
And an easier route back to the pan would be through the oil cooler and right back to the pan. Which is what the relief valve blocks. Its all making sense now!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Ditch the factory oil filter housing anyway, get yourself at a minimum a filter relocation kit (which then allows much easier access and accepts larger filters!). Pressure based oil cooling is junk anyhow!