Oil Shaft Bearing installation *Please Help*

Deathseeker31

Getaway Driver
Mar 30, 2005
SOCAL
Hello Everyone,

I am currently rebuilding my long block. My machine shop hot tanked the block and because of this I am replacing my freeze plugs and oil shaft bearings. My question is how do we shim the bearings for the oil shaft? Per my measurements the clearance is too tight once pressed into their position on the block? Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if It is a good idea to try and sand the inside or outside of the bearings to adjust the clearances to be within specs per the TSRM. Thank you for the help in advance.

Ricky L.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I made my own boring tool for this job out of an old oil shaft with a driver that attaches to the fron of the oil shaft. You could use a small stone type hone.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
I am having this trouble too. Is the bearing oversize from toyota that you need to hone the bearing. Is it easier just machine down the shaft?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Make sure if you take material off the bearings themselves you take it off the inside diameter not the outside, it relies on a press fit to stay in place and wont stay in as tight if you remove material from the outside. I was able to use a light sand paper to take down the ID of the bearing until the shaft fit nicely inside them and rotated smoothly. Just make sure you do a very thorough final cleaning of the block afterward to get all the material you took off out.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
zurud;1624541 said:
I am having this trouble too. Is the bearing oversize from toyota that you need to hone the bearing. Is it easier just machine down the shaft?

Yes, it is "undersize" meaning it has a smaller inside diameter than the shaft. The bearing needs to be cut to size. Never machine the shaft. Dura Bond bearings are much closer to size and many times do not need to be cut.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
So what do I need to do now?.. I already installed crank, rod and pistons. Take it out all back again and send it back to machine shop. Taking out eagle rod is a bitch unlike stock rods. Any tip for the easier way on taking rods out without using huge pliers? I am using tsrm on how to put the block together. Any more tips that more problems I will encounter?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I use a cutter. Not a hone, it makes a lot less mess. If you use a hone, you may need to break the motor down first so that the block can be cleaned after you are done. A cutter you may get away with putting some grease on the cutter to catch the slag. Or you could pull the oem bearigs, and try a set of dura bond bearings. They may not need to be sized. If they too need sized, then you can always try sizing the oem bearings on the shaft with the bearing out of the block. However, installing them again may deflect the bearing to the tight side again.