Oil question and turbo question

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
My oil question is really vague, so I don't expect any definitive answers. I'm just looking for some general guidance. I know for a while that the oil pan seal has been leaking, but it's been so little that it's not worth fixing right now. It was needing an extra quart each month or so. Now all of the sudden, I have a add at least a half quart every time I drive it. Nothing has changed on the car. I'm not seeing any smoke from the exhaust. I do notice a bit of a smell usually when I come to a stop. I suppose it's not really that the leak has gotten a lot worse, but that it's burning. Are there any usual culprits that cause this? I did the cardboard under the parked car test, and there's only a few drips after I've driven it.

The turbo is question is this: I noticed today that where the rear of the turbo meets the downpipe, there's a whitish tarnish or coloration on the DP. Is this something to be concerned about? If so, what is it?

Thanks.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
After your car is warm, let it sit 5 minutes then check the dipstick.

The discoloration is from heating and cooling. Or it could be an oil stain that is burning.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Nick M said:
After your car is warm, let it sit 5 minutes then check the dipstick.

The discoloration is from heating and cooling. Or it could be an oil stain that is burning.

I think your right Nick. He prolly is burning the oil out the exhaust and has an exhaust leak.

The white ash he's seing is oil, and thus that is where his missing oil is going.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
MDCmotorsports said:
I think your right Nick. He prolly is burning the oil out the exhaust and has an exhaust leak.

The white ash he's seing is oil, and thus that is where his missing oil is going.

Can you give me any reasons how or why the oil would be going into the exhaust system like that, and what I should do about that and the exhaust leak?

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Ok, when I returned home tonight, I let the engine cool off with the hood up for a few minutes and then checked it. There was a small cloud of white smoke coming from the are of the DP which is what was suggested before. I checked the dipstick, and it seemed to indicate a close to normal oil level. However, it's obvious that I am burning oil through the exhaust.

The next question is what could be the diagnosis, and what do I do to repair it?

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
The turbo seals may be gone in the turbo. To check, remove the DP and check the exhaust side of the turbo and see if its all oily there.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Ok, I took a look at both sides of the turbo this morning. Here are some pictures to show what I found.

On the exhaust side, I found more of the white residue on the turbo elbow and where it meets the DP. Seen in the following picture.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The inside of the turbo on the hot side seemed pretty clean. There was a minute of shaft play. I think it was acceptable. The fins were undamaged as well. Show in next picture.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The intake side of the turbo had a little drop of oil in it, but it was clean otherwise. There was NO shaft play at all. The fins were perfectly in tact as well. Shown here.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Does this provide any more guidance to deducing what the problem is? Can I get an explanation on what the turbo seals exactly are, and can I replace them myself? Cost?

Two extras that I discovered while I was working. This O2 sensor looks pretty nasty. Should I get a new one? If so any particular type?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And, there was a small hose on the intake that didn't go anywhere. It was like it had been disconnected at some point, but never reconnected. The first picture shows where it connects on the underside of the intake near the turbo. The second picture shows the unconnected side almost directly underneath my K&N FIPK filter. Can anyone tell me where it goes?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
That last hose goes to the bottom of your accordian hose. It's the PS idle up thingy.

Edit: I think... Its hard to tell looking at the second to last pic now.

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
The turbo seals are inside the turbo. The oil on the intake side of the turbo is from your crank case. Conclusion: The oil on the intake side is normal but should be cleaned. If you get an oil catch can you wont have any oil on the intake side.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
trydrew said:
That last hose goes to the bottom of your accordian hose. It's the PS idle up thingy.

Edit: I think... Its hard to tell looking at the second to last pic now.

You may be right. The right side of the second image is my FIPK. The left side is the MAFT (I think that's right.) So you're saying it connects somewhere around there? I'll have to look for some connections around there.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
josh930 said:
The turbo seals are inside the turbo. The oil on the intake side of the turbo is from your crank case. Conclusion: The oil on the intake side is normal but should be cleaned. If you get an oil catch can you wont have any oil on the intake side.

So, are the seals something I can or should replace myself, or should I have a professional do that. A professional, I am not. :)

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
Schmutzler said:
So, are the seals something I can or should replace myself, or should I have a professional do that. A professional, I am not. :)

If it's turbo oil seals I would defer to a reputable turbo shop. Do some research for that. I've seen a lot of good feedback for PT, Performance Techniques. MDC also does good rebuilds, from what I've seen.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Boostedstr8six said:
If it's turbo oil seals I would defer to a reputable turbo shop. Do some research for that. I've seen a lot of good feedback for PT, Performance Techniques. MDC also does good rebuilds, from what I've seen.

Ok, thanks. I had a complete rebuild done on this turbo when I bought the car in early 2004 by Evergreen Turbo in Florida. I'll do some price comparisons. Does anyone have an estimate on what it should cost for a CT26?