Oil pump

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Guys, i am pulling my engine for a rebuild, there are several oil pumps on ebay, can some of you guys take a look at the pumps and make a recommendation or advise what oil pump to get please. I am looking for ideas.
Thanks in advance, Jet.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
If you are dead set on buying a new one, just get one from Toyota. That is a very critical part and I personally wouldn't risk it on ebay.

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
The seller Mizumoauto on ebay, (I would post a link but cant rember at the time if ebay links are allowed on this site) sells a full rebuilt kit for the 7mgte motor at a really good price. The kit includes NPR piston's and rings, ACL bearings, timming belt kit, full gasket set, oil and water pumps. I would go this route if I didnt already buy a rebuilt short block with 0miles on it.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
I have A pump in my car that came from topline yet had asian stamped on it I belive the ebay pumps are topline boxed ?? not sure on that

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
whatever you buy doublecheck and make sure it doesnt have any metal shavings on it, just because it is toyota doesnt mean its expempt from critical defects like that :) (i wouldnt say it if i didnt run into it before, new toyota pump with metal shavings in it)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Any Aisin pump is OEM Toyota. (That is who Toyota bought them from.) Same as our Transmissions, they are from Aisin as well.

You guys realize that 80% or more of the car is NOT built by Toyota right? (This goes for every car maker, the average is actually 18% is OEM.)

The CRITICAL difference in the pumps is are you getting a 7MGE or the 7MGTE pump. I would always buy the turbo engine pump. (7MGTE pump.) The housing is the same in every way, except the turbo pump has a taller gear set, so you get more flow. Either fits in either motor, but there is no down side to more flow.

When you get your pump, take the top cover off. (There are a few small bolts holding in on. They are quite tight, so be careful both removing them, and when you re-install them.
Every new pump I've taken apart has some small amount of gunk and debris inside. You do not want that in your bearings right? Clean it. :)

Now, you do want some lube in there, so I like to pack my pump with assembly lube, then put the top cover back on. While you have the top plate off, or when you have it back on, you want to remove the pressure bypass nut. Be careful, it's holding a spring under pressure, so it will fly off! Now, you have to make a choice, to shim, or not to shim. Non shimmed motors have run many 100's of thousands of miles, but extra oil pressure is not a bad idea, so I like shimming. I've found one 10mm nut does the trick. Or 2 or 3 flat washers. Now comes the tricky part. You put the bypass valve in, then the nut or washers, and then the spring. and then find the retainer nut is VERY hard to get started. I found a short socket wrench allows you to push it in, compress the spring, and still turn it to catch the threads. Keep pushing as you thread it, or you can damage the first thread if your not careful.

Put some assembly lube on the gear end, and your oil pump drive shaft gear and bearings, and enjoy.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
Just buy stock Aisin pump or the one from your dealer as mentioned... A year back, suprasport.nl used to sell shimmed new OEM Aisin pumps, but they dont do that now, sad...

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
Adjuster said:
Any Aisin pump is OEM Toyota. (That is who Toyota bought them from.) Same as our Transmissions, they are from Aisin as well.

You guys realize that 80% or more of the car is NOT built by Toyota right? (This goes for every car maker, the average is actually 18% is OEM.)

The CRITICAL difference in the pumps is are you getting a 7MGE or the 7MGTE pump. I would always buy the turbo engine pump. (7MGTE pump.) The housing is the same in every way, except the turbo pump has a taller gear set, so you get more flow. Either fits in either motor, but there is no down side to more flow.

When you get your pump, take the top cover off. (There are a few small bolts holding in on. They are quite tight, so be careful both removing them, and when you re-install them.
Every new pump I've taken apart has some small amount of gunk and debris inside. You do not want that in your bearings right? Clean it. :)

Now, you do want some lube in there, so I like to pack my pump with assembly lube, then put the top cover back on. While you have the top plate off, or when you have it back on, you want to remove the pressure bypass nut. Be careful, it's holding a spring under pressure, so it will fly off! Now, you have to make a choice, to shim, or not to shim. Non shimmed motors have run many 100's of thousands of miles, but extra oil pressure is not a bad idea, so I like shimming. I've found one 10mm nut does the trick. Or 2 or 3 flat washers. Now comes the tricky part. You put the bypass valve in, then the nut or washers, and then the spring. and then find the retainer nut is VERY hard to get started. I found a short socket wrench allows you to push it in, compress the spring, and still turn it to catch the threads. Keep pushing as you thread it, or you can damage the first thread if your not careful.

Put some assembly lube on the gear end, and your oil pump drive shaft gear and bearings, and enjoy.

Nice concise write-up. Wish I had seen it before I installed my pump. Prior to that everthing I had read seemed to make shimming the pump sound like more pain than gain.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Blackfin said:
Nice concise write-up. Wish I had seen it before I installed my pump. Prior to that everthing I had read seemed to make shimming the pump sound like more pain than gain.
My new pump will be shimmed, however i need to maybe find a crank.
Jet.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States