Oil pump shimming

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Ive searched around but have come up with any info on shimming oil pumps on 7mgte's. Is this a worth while mod to do and what all is involved in doing it? My crank bearings are to arrive on friday so id like to figure it out before then. Any info or pointers on this would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
ChrisC;1317329 said:
Ive searched around but have come up with any info on shimming oil pumps on 7mgte's. Is this a worth while mod to do and what all is involved in doing it? My crank bearings are to arrive on friday so id like to figure it out before then. Any info or pointers on this would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Here some info.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27974&highlight=Oil+pump+shims

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58305&highlight=Oil+pump+shims

Hope it helps.
Jim

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Didn't stick it, but did move to the oil section so it will be easier to find.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember seeing pictures of exactly where to put the shims. Does anyone have pictures or can someone post them? I just started with my motor swap and I've been out of the game for a little bit.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Mk3runner;1319320 said:
There's a nut/ bolt thing at the base of pump. It's spring loaded. Shims go in front of spring.

So between the nut/bolt and the spring or between base of the pump and spring? Just to clarify.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I assume you have it out. See the bolt deal, if you got the right washers, they should sit perfect inside the bolt. Then spring then tighten down. Make sense?

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Mk3runner;1319677 said:
I assume you have it out. See the bolt deal, if you got the right washers, they should sit perfect inside the bolt. Then spring then tighten down. Make sense?

No, I dont have it apart yet. I figured thats where the shim should be placed. Just wanted to clarify before I get to it. Its nice to start and finish a job quick and efficiently. Thanks for the pointers btw :)

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Here is a pic where the washers go.

attachment.php

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
SuPrADr1Ft786;1329858 said:
Is this a good thing to do even on the N/A's??? I'm doin a HG job on my brothers supra so while everythings out I might as well do it. Will it lower the life on the oil pump???

Cant see why you couldnt on a NA. If your oil pressure was lower then spec shimming it to retain factory pressure would be good. It is logical that making the pump push more pressure could shorten its life, but its really only such a minimal amount. The pump would still outlast the life of the engine anyways in most cases.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I took some pics of shimming the pump. Pics are pretty straight forward and self explanitory. The shims I used were (3) 6mm washer I believe. They measured out to about 4.86mm and fit perfectly inside the spring retainer bolt. One thing to be careful of is not to bend the pick up or outlet tube when undoing and retightening the 3 bolts.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
While you got your pump out and shimmed. Get an Arizona performance oil supply line kit to help with that increased flow.

-Jim