Oil pump shaft can't get into the bearing

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
I am having difficulty pushing my oil pump shaft into the bearing. I am using stock toyota 11022-41010 bearing. When I took it out it was easy. After putting new bearing in the shaft won't go in at all especially the back one. The shaft diameter is in spec but I can't measure the bearing id since I don't have bore gauge. Anybody else have this problem. Should I take it to machine shop since they haave the gauge.

Thanks

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Thats a common problem when replacing the oil pump shaft bearings. You are going to want to measure the ID of the bearings and either take material off the bearings (easiest) or get the shaft turned down to a smaller size to get the correct clearance.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
Damn I did not know that's a common problem. I already installed the crank, pistons and rods. If I knew about it I would not have the block hot tank. Eagle rod is a bitch to take out unlike stock toyota rods. Any tip on how to remove eagle rod easier?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
NO NO NO. The bearing comes as a undersize bearing from Toyota. After the bearings are installed, you must cut or hone them to size to match you shaft. NEVER NEVER reduce the size of the shaft to fit the bearing. I install a set of these bearing every two weeks on average. Every oem set I have ever installed needs to be sized. I made a special cutter out of an old oil shaft just to do this.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Thanks for the info i had never heard of that before, in fact most people have seemed to reccomend cutting the shaft instead of the bearings, my apologies for the misinformation as well. Why is it a bad idea to do so?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
On a crankshaft, you would cut/polish the crank to make bearing clearance and not the bearings themselves. On the oil shaft however, it is a pressed in bearing and sometimes tends to deflect and not be 100% round. Cutting the bearing will true the bearing to the shaft. If you cut the shaft, the bearing could remain out of round. Also, since nearly every oem bearing set is an undersize needing to be cut, and a host of aftermarket bearing that all come in different thicknesses and needs of cutting, you could end up sticking your self with a ground shaft that will only ever fit one set of bearings now. Think of this bearing as a bushing instead. You size the bushing to the shaft, and not the shaft to the bushing.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Cool good to know. I noticed that when I replaced mine as well, they fit over the shaft perfectly fine before pressing them in, but once I did the shaft would no longer fit and the bearing was slightly out of round. I ended up cutting the bearing down, but by hand, and it eventually fit nicely, but it probably would have been better had I some kind of tool to ensure it was perfectly round. Only thing I wondered about was arr there any negative affects to removing the babbit material off the bearing or is it not an issue seeing as the load on those bearings isn't very high?