oil pump ds bearings?

i'm rebiulding a 90 7m and the machinist hot-tanked the block without asking me and he pulled out the bearings for the aux shaft. i ordered new ones but no matterwhat i can't get the shaft to slide in smoothly. they bearings fit on the shaft fine when they are out. but when i install them it won't go in unless i was to force it(no thanks). i am using a good quality cam bearing driver. is there any tricks to getting these thigs in right? or different sizes of bearings? thanks

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
Freshpicked87 said:
i'm rebiulding a 90 7m and the machinist hot-tanked the block without asking me and he pulled out the bearings for the aux shaft. i ordered new ones but no matterwhat i can't get the shaft to slide in smoothly. they bearings fit on the shaft fine when they are out. but when i install them it won't go in unless i was to force it(no thanks). i am using a good quality cam bearing driver. is there any tricks to getting these thigs in right? or different sizes of bearings? thanks
for some reason the toyota bearings fit tight use and aftermarket oil pump drive shaft bearing have the machinist get it make sure it has the proper oil clearence after install i think max is .004

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
We ended up doing these a few times... finally got a set that was not too tight..
IIRC, they also put in one set w/o the oil holes lined up, so it had to be done again.

Watch out that your install tool is not putting a sharp expanded lip in the bearing too. (And that's what is hanging up the install...)

Oil hole alignment is critical. I do not know for sure if there are many sizes of this bearing around either. I suppose a few passes of a brake hone would solve a tight bearing problem... Try one pass, then check how tight it is.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
you need an inside bore micrometer and a standard outside micrometer.

use the inside bore mic to measure the inside diameter of the oil pump ds bearings when they are installed. then, use the outside mic to measure the oil pump ds journals. subtract the OD from the ID, thats your oil film clearance. if its LESS than the TSRM spec, subtract the TSRM spec from your actual measurement. the result is how much you SHOULD remove from the oil pump DS journals.