oil problem PCV valve??

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i have for a little while had a problem with oil 'weeping' from my oil fill cap and the hoses on my cathc can and the crankcase vent lines that run to my CC...

why is this and i smoke when i get on it

is this all blow by caused by a bad PCV valve??

i don't want to get so much pressure that i blow the cam seals, like a friend of mine.

john

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
We don't have a PCV valve.
There's plenty of information about the correct way to hook up a catch can.

two valve covers teed into one hose, going to the catch can, and off the other port run a hose going to the accordian.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
have that done right... everything worked right for a time

but what would cause me to weep oil from my fill cap, breathers to can, and from the can fittings

it would apear i am getting afair amount[more than i'd like] of oil in the IC lines due to this 'extra pressure'

my exact setup it an NA hard line conecting the valve covers and pointed towards the exhaust side, soft line to can, soft line from can to the spot on the accordian hose the stock bypass connects to

something i missed?? a reason for the oil weeping?? anything to help??

john

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If your motor is in fair condition you won't need a catch can but on an older high milage motor they're handy!

I pulled my 5/8 PCV hoses yesterday and even at 30 psi boost they're barely coated with oil.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i had the catch can in the car before the motor was rebuilt....i left it in cus the charcoal beast is long gone

i've never heard of anyone with oil seeping out of there fill cap or anywhere else this can't be normal right??

john

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
hmmmm....i dunno

i haven't noticed that condition but since i am burning a little oil at high revs i try to stay off the pedal when i drive it

john

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The PCV system in our cars is very well thought out but it is limited in the volume it can flow so if your motor has excessive blowby it can cause this issue :(

I went a bit nuts with mine after my old motor had a lot of blowby and increased all of the fittings and hoses to 5/8 and plumbed it directly to between the Turbo and Airfilter, a bit overkill as it turns out!

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
interesting....would this be the only advise you would give me in my situation?? how hard is that to do??

one thing fixed three more breaks....*sigh*

john

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
so what exactly causes excessive blowby? I took off my upper mani. the other day and noticed a bit of oil pooling in each of the runners on the lower mani. I wiped all that up, including the gunk behind the TB, but would like to know what causes is because the engine was fully rebuild about 10K ago. The car has been sitting for about 4 weeks because of a BHG if that helps answer anything

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
i take it improper machine work on the block can also cause the pistons to rock and unseat the rings? That's about the only thing I can think of being that everything was replaced/upgraded 10K ago, and I highly doubt the turbo seals are going bad after that much time.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
cajunangel said:
poor machine work can lead to a multitude of problems... and if you are unsure about what your doing get a pro to help you .

oh believe me I know there's a lot of stuff that can go wrong...i'm just at the "there's oil in my intake mani, how did it get there?" stage. First I've got to fix my BHG, then go from there.

right now I'm thinking it may just be from sitting so long. Since there's no real gunk anywhwhere in the system I suppose it could have all pooled on the lowest point instead of collecting across the walls. Oh well when I get the BHG out of the way I'll do a compression test and see what that turns up.