oil pressure

jz*supra

Jan 14, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I have been skimming the forum lately and found a few threads were guys have turbo's leaking oil due to improper install.
MDC motorsports asks the same questions
1.) Is your air filter too small or clogged?
2,) What size is your feed line?
3.) Whats the oil pressure you're running to the turbo?
4.) What size is your return line?
5.) Is your return line going up hill, kinked, or is the cartridge more than 12-15 deg off center?
6.) Is your PCV system hooked up and working correctly

It has really made me think about if my t78 is properly installed.

1.) I have a HKS super flow intake
2.) -4AN
3.) My oil gauge has hit 100 psi. <<<this is my main concern, to much op
4.) -10AN
5.) It bends but smoothly and downhill. The drain line also currently sits extremely close and may rub the exhaust manifold, its on the list of things to work on. I do have a full flow oil cooler with thermostat and i have never seen more than 220 degrees. but i am unsure about the cartridge being 12-15 off center, i actually have no clue what MDC is talking about :dunno:
6.) yes

How does my setup sound to you?
Thanks for you help.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
jz*supra;1023547 said:
I have been skimming the forum lately and found a few threads were guys have turbo's leaking oil due to improper install.
MDC motorsports asks the same questions
1.) Is your air filter too small or clogged?
2,) What size is your feed line?
3.) Whats the oil pressure you're running to the turbo?
4.) What size is your return line?
5.) Is your return line going up hill, kinked, or is the cartridge more than 12-15 deg off center?
6.) Is your PCV system hooked up and working correctly

It has really made me think about if my t78 is properly installed.

1.) I have a HKS super flow intake
2.) -4AN
3.) My oil gauge has hit 100 psi. <<<this is my main concern, to much op
4.) -10AN
5.) It bends but smoothly and downhill. The drain line also currently sits extremely close and may rub the exhaust manifold, its on the list of things to work on. I do have a full flow oil cooler with thermostat and i have never seen more than 220 degrees. but i am unsure about the cartridge being 12-15 off center, i actually have no clue what MDC is talking about :dunno:
6.) yes

How does my setup sound to you?
Thanks for you help.

Sounds right, although Id ditch the HKS in favor of a large cone style K&N.

100psi for that turbo is too much.

On some of the smaller Mitsubishi turbos (think WRX) they have a restriction in the turbo itself.

The 2.0 Boxer engine regularly see 100+ psi.

As for the cartridge being off center - If the feed and return ports are straight up and down, you have ZERO degrees.

Think of twisting that center housing or bearing housing either clockwise or counter clockwise +15 deg or -15 deg off center.

Make sense?