Oil pressure

Edmundas

Feb 16, 2009
Klaipeda
Hello,
I have just rebuilded my engine and the oil pressure at hot idle is 0.3 kg/cm2
and at 3000rpm it is about 2.3kg/cm2.
Will oil pressure this low wouldn`t do damage to the engine?

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
From what I have read on this forum, that is not abnormal at all, a couple of factors are weight of oil being used and is that with a stock gauge, notorious for reading low, but I do not think those readings are low, they are higher than mine, but I run 5w20 oil.

There is a link on here somewhere to a 6 page essay from an oil engineer that really makes it clear as to weights of oil and their performance benefits and downfalls.

Just remember this - Flow it more important than pressure, of course must have some pressure otherwise would point to a major issue, but IMO it would not take long for something to start knocking if pressure was way too low...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Most mechanics who are familiar with (for example) GM motors will tell you she's gonna blow when you've got 5 psi of oil pressure at idle.

Believe it or not 4.3 psi (0.3 kg/cm2) or higher is the factory spec for this motor at idle.

It's normal.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Thanks Failure14 for listing link, I knew I had seen it before... I thought it was well written to help those looking for a good explanation of oil properties and what you need to know... I know after reading it, I run lighter oil than I used to depending on time of year

Radiod - Thanks for that conversion link also, I guess I should have listed it... same one I used, as I had no clue until I converted as to what his oil pressure really was...