oil pressure sender question.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I had higher readings in my oil filter head port then at the block itself. Might try at the block and on the fliter head and see if you have different readings.

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
well i have a port on...

the oil exit from block
oil return on block
one pre-oil filter on oil filter head
one post-oil filter on oil filter head

Think the oil return on the block would be best?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You want to measure pressure at the block oil channel that feeds the bearings...i.e. the stock location. That is what actually matters after all ;)

suprajimbo

Jun 28, 2010
Hammond, LA
I'm not trying to jack your thread, but whats the easiest way to remove the stock sending unit while the motor is still in the car. Its a 7mge?

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
jdub;1599024 said:
You want to measure pressure at the block oil channel that feeds the bearings...i.e. the stock location. That is what actually matters after all ;)

I thought you needed to have the stock one hooked up as well?

suprajimbo;1599041 said:
I'm not trying to jack your thread, but whats the easiest way to remove the stock sending unit while the motor is still in the car. Its a 7mge?

If its the same as a 7mgte i just took of the intake and used some good ol' slip joint pliers. got a little scratched up but it worked.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mk3sons;1600102 said:
I thought you needed to have the stock one hooked up as well?

The ECU does use the input from the stock sensor. There's another fitting forward of the stock sending unit that blocked with a screw - it's the same thread size as the stock sending unit.

mk3sons;1600102 said:
If its the same as a 7mgte i just took of the intake and used some good ol' slip joint pliers. got a little scratched up but it worked.

An excellent way to turn your oil sender into a paper weight. Under the sender dome, there's a 14mm hex on the fitting itself. You can get a shorty wrench on it.

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
jdub;1600126 said:
The ECU does use the input from the stock sensor. There's another fitting forward of the stock sending unit that blocked with a screw - it's the same thread size as the stock sending unit.

An excellent way to turn your oil sender into a paper weight. Under the sender dome, there's a 14mm hex on the fitting itself. You can get a shorty wrench on it.

Jdub thank for the superb info, once again! couldn't get the damn thing out though >:eek:. Ill be pulling the engine once again on my upcoming 45 day license suspension to replace the oil squirters change the clutch and shim the oil pump! then that gauge will be in for life!

suprajimbo

Jun 28, 2010
Hammond, LA
jdub;1600126 said:

Thanks, I thought there might be a way to get a wrench on it but I wanted to be sure.