Oil pressure question

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I'm wondering if my motor has normal oil pressure or something's wrong with it. At idle engine warmed to operating temp by the stock gauge. My oil pressure gauge is showing a little bit below the half way of 0 to the 1st line. And this would be the same way for a long period of driving and getting off the highway at a light. Same thing. Is this normal or low oil pressure.

Car: 7mgte swapped into 89 NA, stock turbo, intake, 3inch turbo back. Stock everthing else. NA oil gauge.

FYI: i was doing 70 at 2750 rpm and oil pressure was at 40. Is this normal too?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
This is a common problem for 7m's it seems. Mine is even lower than that:O I've chosen to just drive it as is due to lack of funds to track the problem down and fix it(I know I am an idiot) Some people throw guages on and find that the stock gauge shows lower than it really is and others find real problems.. hit or miss.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7m has a lowe pressure high flow oil system. Not a poblem thats how they were made.

Get a test gauge and check it. Stock gauge is more of a idiot light than anything else.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The whole low pressure/hi volume thing is a fallacy.....

It's a normal system that is taxed by the amount of controlled leaks added over the years, the bigger GTE pump helps some but not enough so you see a pressure drop at low RPM.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
hvyman;1624290 said:
Stock gauge is more of a idiot light than anything else.

if the stock gauge works...as mine does not. oh well, now i have an excuse to have pillar pods! higher boost gauge and oil pressure! i can look cool now! lol

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I know that I am going to get an after market oil pressure gauge plus oil temp at the same time. But i was just wondering because even tho oil level is good I was just worried that it is a little too low for being normal. I'll just get my gauge set up and see if it is the stock gauge being not accurate or if there is something wrong with my motor.

FYI: it has a brand new OEM oil pump too, not shimmed or anything.