Oil pressure! How much is TOO much?

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
I've got a fully rebuilt motor. Forged internals, balanced, many other mods... Yada yada yada... Currently approaching 3000 K on the new motor... (1850 Miles)

It's got a stock Toyota oil pump, shimmed 5mm

I'm running Castrol Syntec 10w30

My upgraded Ct26 started to smoke about 300 K ago, popped it off, major shaft play. In/Out and side to side.

The motor has very high oil pressure, the question is, how high is too high?

Currently the pressure looks like this, read of a Defi link gauge, with a defi oil pressure sensor.

I have not pushed the car harder than 50% throttle or over 4500 RPM, as it only has street tune currently.

Cold idle at 1000 RPM: 85 PSI

Warm idle at 1000 RPM: 20 - 25 PSI

3000 RPM, warm:45 PSI

4500 RPM, warm: 55-60 PSI

Are these numbers anything to be concerned about? If my oil pressure continues ramping up accoreding to RPM, it's likely I'll see 100 PSI at 7K RPM, hopefully not. mMy turbo dying likely may be the aftermath of a past spun bearing (Rod knock = turbo oil starvation) on the old motor I had it on? Could have been a number of other things, IE Improper priming, poor vacume...

Some input would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to a bigger, badder turbo and can't afford to blow/rebuild it.

Thanks,

- Kev

Last edited:

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
take what you can get..... I read somewhere that you want like 10lbs extra per 100 hp extra.

I shimmed my pump and removed the squirters, i have forged internals etc. as well.

I am somewhere near 45 lbs at idle and 100lbs + at full boost WOT

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
LOL, you're under max spec by a LONG shot at 3000 RPM.

My question is, you replaced your turbo 300,000 miles ago? How many miles are on this thing!? ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ hit it -10 psi per 1000 rpm is a good rule of thumb.

Your pressure is being produced as a result of bearing clearances...you got yours on the tight side of spec I'll bet. Keep in mind pressure is resistance to flow. Switch to a 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil...it will flow better with a tight clearance and your oil pressure should drop a bit. Much better choice for your motor.

If you really want to put the good stuff in that new motor...get Red Line (Ester based syn). Royal Purple is more widely available in Canada iirc...it also comes in a 5W-30 (PAO based Syn). Red Line would be my 1st choice. You can run either oil 8000 miles easily between changes ;)

Run a good filter...Wix or PureOne. If you want to spend the bucks, the Mobil 1 filter has a syn filter media that's quite good. The Wix has the best bypass valve design and filters very well...the PureOne will filter down the smallest particles...the Mobil 1 is almost as good filtration wise, you just need to get it on sale ;)

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
mkIIIman089 said:
LOL, you're under max spec by a LONG shot at 3000 RPM.

My question is, you replaced your turbo 300,000 miles ago? How many miles are on this thing!? ;)
i think he means 300km, he lives in canada.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
89Turbo said:
^^^^^K&N comparable?

K&N is a good filter...Champion Labs makes it, and the Mobil 1. The K&N doesn't have the syn media though. IMO, they are both too expensive for what you're getting.

BTW - Champion also makes the SuperTech filters for Wal-Mart ;)

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
2543arvin said:
i think he means 300km, he lives in canada.

Correct.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was running Royal Purple before, and plan on going back to that next oil change, which will be when I put the new turbo in.

Switching to 5w-30 or 0w-30 sounds like a good option, how many guys out there are running this viscosity of oil?

Cheers,

- Kev

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I am...German Castrol...0W-30, but it would actually be a bit thick at ops temp for your needs.

Do your motor a favor and use the RP 5W-30...just do it ;)