Oil pressure gauge on the FRITZ!! Please Help....

suprared89

Sep 8, 2005
atlanta, georgia
Ok guys.... This is driving me nuts!! Can someone please help? I have a 1990 Supra with a 1JZ swap. Car runs great! The problem I have is that when the ignition key is in the ON position, the oil presure gauge pegs to Max. Over 120psi. This is with the engine off. I disconnected the sender, and it does the same thing. I have tried grounding the wire, and no change...

Now, here is where it gets weird.... When the car is started it works fine. Only happens when the key is in the ON position. I have removed the glovebos to get to the M1 connector. If I disconnect it, of course the gauges go dead. I have power at the connector from the main haness. The wire color is yellow with black stripe, I have power at that wire with the key on. So I assume that is right.....

Can someone please tell me where to look for a solution? I am lost...

I don't know if related, but I also have no dome light operation. The passenger visor light does work. I have no door open light and no dome light operation. The visor lights do work though..

Please help... I am lost.....:1zhelp:

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
first off did you wire it properly with the 1JZ. if so start by looking at the Wiring diagram. Cause what your complaining about is mention in the repair manual

suprared89

Sep 8, 2005
atlanta, georgia
I am using the 7mgte sender. Maple mentioned that this problem is mentioned in the repair manual. I have looked but can't find anything. Can you please point me in the right direction?
This car seems to have some kind of electrical issue. The oil pressure gauge doing this crazy stuff. I also have no dome, or cargo area light. They don't come on with the switch or with the door opening. The other lights work though. I had a radio installed recently. Could the radio have anything to do with both these issues? I asked the radio guy, but he doesn't know what to look for.
Please throw ideas out thee guys.... I am willing to try anything you might think.....