Oil pan resealing question

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I am finishing up the maintenance on my 1JZ non vvti and the last thing on the list before putting stuff back on it was re-sealing the oil pan and installing a new rear main seal. FINALLY got the rear main seal housing back on, stinkin' spring wanted to keep popping out of the seal from the really tight fit on the end of the crank (hard to get in when it's still on a stand and the arms holding it up are in the way).

Anyways, I used Toyota FIPG and followed the sealant routing as described in the Supra manual for the 2JZ (as it's all I had), but noticed on the back half holes, it showed the sealant going on the outside edge of the pan by the bolt holes rather than the inside edge. That leads me to believe that oil (if it was going to get out) would meet the bolt threads before it met sealant and leak out. It didn't mention anything about putting sealant on any of the threads or whatever. I filled up the little cast in valleys as my guide, then just ran it either inside or outside of the bolt holes to make 1 continuous stream.

I have not installed the lower oil pan yet, I want to make sure I did it exactly right before I put it all back together and then find it leaks when I get it in the car and running.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I ran the sealant around both sides of each hole like you did to be safe. Have had no problems.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need about a 3-5mm bead continuisly around the pan. Go around inside of bolt holes first and then connect them around the outside after.