Oil leaks when hot

Teraka

Mar 30, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Ok, so I've only had the car for about 2 weeks. - 89T (and I'm not mechanically inclined - so if anything I say doesn't make sense term-wise, that'll be why).

Everything works great, initially no leaks, no smoke. Now, we've had a few days of nice weather (mid 20's C - 70's F) and I notice after I've parked from driving a bit there are 2 spots on the ground.

I've done some searches and have done some preliminary checking (there does seem to be some oil residue in the accordian pipe - I haven't had it off entirely but I pulled with of the hoses and stuck my finger in).

Leak 1 seems to be coming from the intercooler pipes (see the picture below).
leak1.JPG

Leak 2 is coming from the right-side of the engine - it looks to be running down a hose but I can't tell where it's coming from.
leak2.JPG

Previous owner said he put 20w50 synthetic in (which might explain why it only leaks when the weather is nice???).

What's leaking? What do I need to fix (or have fixed)?

Thanx in advance for any help.

skim1040

work in progress
Wow! I'm impressed with your post! If only everyone could post questions like this!

Now to the help.
Its doubtfull that there is any oil coming from inside the IC piping itself. Its probablly dripping down from somewhere above it and landing on the pipe.

Also, are you for certain that it is oil? Not say PS fluid or someother liquid?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
That is certainly true, but probably won't fix the leaks.

On another non-leak related note, if this car doesn't have an engine undercover you really should get one.

On the topic of leaks, I think you need to trace back where the leaks are coming from, you pointed out where they stop running and drip off from what I can tell. (An IC pipe, and what looks like an A/C line)

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
If the car was switched to synthetic from regular oil that could have started the leak. It could be a seal.

I think i caused one on my old car when i tried synthetic. The rear main started to leak. That leak is near your front main seal but you have to search for it.

Dunk the bottom of the motor and clean it up. Put it on a hoist or jack it and get it to leak. Then you know where its coming from. Around there it could be

-oil cooler lines
-front main seal
-Oil pan
-Oil filter housing to block
-the oil filter itself

Theres a lot around that area.

If not it could be power steering. It should be easy to tell because its ATF. But some people dont know and put the regular power steering fluid in. When its dirty it looks like engine oil.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
TurboWarrior said:
If the car was switched to synthetic from regular oil that could have started the leak. It could be a seal.

I think i caused one on my old car when i tried synthetic. The rear main started to leak. That leak is near your front main seal but you have to search for it.

Dunk the bottom of the motor and clean it up. Put it on a hoist or jack it and get it to leak. Then you know where its coming from. Around there it could be

-oil cooler lines
-front main seal
-Oil pan
-Oil filter housing to block
-the oil filter itself

Theres a lot around that area.

If not it could be power steering. It should be easy to tell because its ATF. But some people dont know and put the regular power steering fluid in. When its dirty it looks like engine oil.

i have an oil leak right now, your symptoms seem very similar to mine. I sent my car to toyota to find my leak though Lol. rear main seal and cam cover seals. i went from dino to syn and im 80% sure thats what did it, always 10w30

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Synthetic oil does not cause leaks...in fact, an ester based oil (like Red Line) will cause seals to swell. It is an excellent conditioner. Synthetic oil will do a very good job of cleaning deposits in the motor...that includes the seals. If these deposits are the only thing stopping a leak, when the syn oil removes the deposit, you get a leak. It is not because of the oil, it's because your seals are worn and/or dry. The syn oil simply revealed a problem you didn't know you had.

Running a thicker oil to stop leaks is not a good solution to the problem...replacing the seals is the solution.

Also...to spell out my above post. If you want to find the leak, get some florescent oil dye and a UV flashlight. Add the specific dye to the system in question and use the UV light to find the leak. Pretty simple vs. changing stuff out in hopes of randomly discovering the leak.