oil leaking from behind crank pulley

atlpd3147

kool member
Nov 26, 2005
Dacula,GA
Im posting this up for a buddy that just completed a build up of his 7mgte. Replaced all gaskets with new gasket set.(not sure if it was all oem stuff)
Got machine shop to bore out cylinders and replaced all bearings. Long story short he put the motor back into his car and found he had a significant oil leak coming from behind the crank pulley. He 1st thought it was the seal behind the pulley. So he went to toyota got a new seal and put that in but the leak is still there. Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for your help..
89toyota supra turbo is the car he has.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
It could also be the cams seals if they leak the oil will come out at the bottom weep hole only wat to tell is to take it apart there are a few other places oil could be leaking as well but if it pours out my guess would be the cam seals.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yep, could be oil pan or cam seals like was said. but if he didnt put the front main seal in correctly, or nicked it in the install, it will still leak.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Couple of other possibilities.

If the old seal has worn a groove in the timing belt pulley it will leak with a new seal.

It can also leak through the gap between the timing belt pulley and crank snout. Put some FIPG on the keyway before installing the pulley.

Mibba

Jun 28, 2007
Sydney, Au
When they put the head on did they use some FIPG on top of the lower timing case under the HG? if not it will piss out oil from there.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
how significant is leak? is it pressurized? usually oil pan leak is not "significant". my guess is crank seal or oil pump drive shaft seal. clean front real good with brake clean and make sure oil is not running down front cover- u might have to take fan/alt belt off and let car idle/rev it to see where its coming from. if it is and its coming from front cover gasket by water pump area, then its the front oil galley plug (its behind front cover). thats what happened to me after my rebuild. oil was running down front of the engine and dripping right behind crank pulley, i thought it was crank seal at first. dumbass machine shop left it loose, my dumbass didnt check it.