oil leak

mmkkpro

Jun 12, 2011
Morgantown W.V.
Hi guys,just checking to see if anyone has had a problem with an oil leak on their mk3.Seems to be near rear bottom of engine,has anyone removed the oil pan with engine still in car or can it be done?Think it might be rear main seal but not sure at this point.If you have a sugestion please reply. Thanks

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
it can be done if you take the tranny off, remove the motor mounts and lift the engine up a bit. but cleaning it is a pain still in the car, and since its like 70% disconected anyways, best is just to pull it out and put on a stand, then go from there.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Hmm the way i've done it was using a special support mount on the top of the engine, dropped the k frame and power steering rack for the oil pan which was fun...... Re-main seal can be done by moving the gearbox out too.

kwatso23

Jul 11, 2010
Mid north coast
Not to go against the grain here guys but have you degreased the motor completely and then run it to see where the oil is coming from?
I thought I had a similar problem with my 7M and it turned out to be an oil leak out the back of the cam covers and the oil ran down the back of the motor making it appear to be the rear main.
Apparantly it's a pretty common problem with 7M's and I fixed mine by ditching the crap factory screws and replacing them with studs and shakeproof nuts.
Just have a squizz first before you freak out and try changing the rear main.

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
Agree with kwatso 23. Been there done that. Mine have leaked on the exhaust side. I guess because of the heat? If you can just run your fingers between the head and the firewall just below the cam covers you will find out. Find fresh oil? Bingo!