Oil Leak

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
I'm so sick and tired of the oil leaks..... I have a 1991 and 1992 Turbo Supra and both of them have oil leaks. Everytime I ask anyone to look at it they say "wheeeew those cars are hard to work on" other words i'm fixen to get screwed..... I even had the crank and cam seals replaced on the 1991 along with the oil cooler hoses. Both cars leak drip right where the crank pulley is. The 1992 has a spot about the size of grapefruit. the 1991 maybe a quarter... I love these cars but driving me crazy......:aigo:

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
I changed the lines on the 91. Hard to tell because it blows back. Neither one leaks just seating there running. But if I turn it off and come back 10 min later there is a big spot. It is for sure coming from crank pulley. I also already changed the oil hose from where you put oil in to crank case.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I've had a similar issue for some time now as well, I have replaced every seal and hose on/near the front of the engine as well as the oil pan. From what I can tell it is most likely the rear (inside) timing cover gasket, which is irreplaceable without having the head off.

Mine doesn't drip while stationary, but does "use" more oil than I would like... most of which gets "used" and seemingly vaporized and sprayed all over the block and lower accessories by airflow.

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
could be that on mine. I know i got on it pretty hard the other night and pulled it in the garage and it had oil dripping off several different places and yes mine does use oil also....

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Timing cover gasket is easily replaced without removing the head. However, it will not leak a whole lot unless you are missing a significant portion of the gasket as there is no oil pressure in this area. You need to examine the TSRM and figure out where to put drops of FIPG if you are going to remove and reinstall the timing cover however.

There is a good chance that your cam seals were installed incorrectly. If FIPG plugs the channels in the cam cap(s), you will have an almost certain leak. This is a situation where too much FIPG is a very bad thing.

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
FIPG????? Lost on that one. Had another person today say something about my car leaking something bad!!!!! beginning to not like the cars I so Loved!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The clowns that said this car is hard to work on shouldn't get your business. Especialy with the leaks you mention, which are very easy for a professional technician to fix. This car in fact, is one of the easier to get inside the timing cover.

Green7mgte

Dec 30, 2009
North Canton, Ohio, United States
^ agreed. being as this is my first 7mgte that I've ever worked on. engines in general really. I found it extremely ez to work on.. compared to other import cars. Fing Front wheel drive eclipse my mom owns is a pain in the ass... F Mitsubishi, crap cars.