Oil in the Valley...How, Why????

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
Ive been trying forever to get the valley in between the two valve covers to keep dry from oil. Brand new valve cover gaskets and for some reason it always seems to seep back in the valley, HOW? Does anybody else have this problem and how has anybody solved it. Thx

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Plug galley doesn't have a gasket....it's your valve covers.....put your valve covers on a very flat surface and see if they are warped....you may need to use some rtv gasket maker...

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
gaboonviper85;1378042 said:
Plug galley doesn't have a gasket....it's your valve covers.....put your valve covers on a very flat surface and see if they are warped....you may need to use some rtv gasket maker...

It does.

The galley cover has rubber on it to seal.......:biglaugh:

A lot of people remove the cover and replace them with felt from NAPA auto.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6916370&postcount=2

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supersupramk3;1377971 said:
Ive been trying forever to get the valley in between the two valve covers to keep dry from oil. Brand new valve cover gaskets and for some reason it always seems to seep back in the valley, HOW? Does anybody else have this problem and how has anybody solved it. Thx

You need to read this thread...seriously:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64940

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Jdub is right bro. did a quick search and found a handful of threads all saying the same thing on how to fix.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
plus those large hex bolts have no washers and can leak too.

if the oil is pooled up mostly around them I would look at removing them, then reseating them with a carbon washer underneath.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Zumtizzle;1378065 said:
It does.

The galley cover has rubber on it to seal.......:biglaugh:

A lot of people remove the cover and replace them with felt from NAPA auto.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6916370&postcount=2

I replaced mine with oil drain washers from NAPA. The NAPA part # is 704-1076.

As stated earlier, you can remove the gasket completely; but the four bolts that hold the 3rd cover on do seal oil passages and need a gasket to seal back up after the 3rd cover has been removed. The three bolts at the bottom of the spark plug galley with arrows pointing to them seal the coolant passages, and should not be touched.

p1378639_1.jpg

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Poodles;1378935 said:
Why not just replace the gasket?

I will never understand the mindset...

For me:

1. Cost - 4 washers cost less then $3. Much cheaper than a new gasket.
2. No issues with spark plug wires not making good contact with spark plugs.
3. Galley isn't covered, so if a valve cover starts leaking; I'll know about it! :D

It's all personal preference, and I prefer to have my galley uncovered. Now when Grimsta finishes those CF galley covers, I just may be putting a cover back on. :)

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Because we are cheap bastards!!!

If mine starts to leak again, I will buy a new one from Toyota. Its a $35 part. Not to bad I guess.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I replaced all gaskets on mine... only a few hundred bucks with zero oil leaks and yes I have oil in it as well.