oil in spark plug wells.....

drewmiller5007

Mar 24, 2010
taylorsville, NC
hey guys, i have 92 supra and i have oil build up in the spark plug wells. i have been looking around and seen this post about "no. 3 cyl head cover" and how if you replaced this the problem would be fixed. my only question is, in the pictures posted the owner has removed the valve covers, do i need to remove them or can it be done other wise? also would this cause smoke upon start up after sitting 5-8 hours?

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-faq/7527-got-oil-on-top-of-your-spark-plugs.html

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
This is virtually always due to dead valve cover gaskets. That and possibly improper torque installing the valve covers - the proper torque is in INCH pounds, not foot pounds.

The only way this could cause smoke is if oil leaks onto the exhaust manifold, and that would smoke in the engine bay, not out the tailpipe.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Both can cause issues. The 3rd valve cover gasket cannot be replaced without removing the valve covers. Also, it's rubber over a metal core, meaning it does wear out. I myself am not a fan of removing it all together as it keeps the spark plug wires organized and seperate, and keeps debris from getting into the spark plug wells.

Smoke on startup, where is the smoke?

drewmiller5007

Mar 24, 2010
taylorsville, NC
smoke is coming out of the tail pipe. but it only happens if the car sits for a couple of hours, then it burns off after 10 mins or so.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

but the smoke is pretty thick and heavy. i have no idea what it is, the only thing i could think off is it has something to do with the build up around the spark plugs?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Unless the oil could get past the threads on the spark plugs (it can't), it's not your issue. Sounds like classic valve stem seals leaking.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Is there anyway for oil to get in the galleries through the three big allen bolts? Ive got oil in the front two galleries and I just put on new valve covers 500 miles ago and cant see any trace of oil coming out of them.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
drewmiller5007;1670884 said:
ok so we think that the smoke is from leaking valve stem seals, any other ideas? and the oil build up is from the no.3 cyl head cover or valve cover gaskets?

Another vote for leaky valve stem seals causing the smoke on startup. Oil buildup could be from either the valve cover gaskets, or the #3 gasket, or both.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Suprasonic19;1670881 said:
Is there anyway for oil to get in the galleries through the three big allen bolts? Ive got oil in the front two galleries and I just put on new valve covers 500 miles ago and cant see any trace of oil coming out of them.

Yeah, you can get oil buildup from the allen bolts. I had that problem until I replaced the #3 gasket and torqued the allen bolts to TSRM spec.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
From what you have said it sounds exactly like what I had before I replaced my valve seals. I spent hours researching ways to double and triple check before I had to pull the head but couldn't find anything. All I can say is once I got my valve seals out they were rock hard. Since I have replaced them no more smoke after letting it sit or on hot/cold startups. There is a write up somewhere about how to replace them without removing the cylinder head. Something along the lines of threading 1/4 inch rope into the cylinders to hold the valves up while you remove the springs. But I opted to just remove the head and put a new gasket on while I was at it since mine was original with 117k. It was alot of work but worth it to not have any smoke anymore.

Suprasonic19

2JZ no sh*t!
Mar 5, 2007
Stockton, CA
Running any engine with a problem can cause more problems, but I think you"ll be okay. After all, I ran mine with bad valve seals for over a year until I could finally pull the head.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Valve stem seals leaking is just burning oil. You'll get carbon build up and oil lowers octane, so don't push it to the ragged edge.