oil in plugs?

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
ok so I pulled the no 1 spark plug today, it was completely drenched in oil. Now here's my question, I just found out one of my pcv lines from the valve cover on the left was almost completely clogged... do you think all that extra build up of oil in the valve covers could have caused the seals on the valves to go kaput and explain the oil leak? I can't tell for sure but the cylinder looks heavily drenched, I haven't even checked the other ones yet.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
start cheap get a new hose piece for that pcv and replace valve cover gaskets and while you've got it apart check the rest of your plugs replace them while in there and that oughta cure you

ross

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
Probably the valve cover gaskets. I had the same problem. Be sure to use a little bit of FIPG when you replace them or there is a pretty good chance they will start leaking again.

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
Yeah, it probably is the gaskets, I just checked the last plug all the way in the back. well I didn't check it because when i pulled off the boot I saw oil all around it. The plug I did check turns out to be in perfect shape after I cleaned off the oil so it's running the correct mixture at least. I just used some carb cleaner to clean the pcv tubing until I replace it with two mini breathers. Also, quick question. Is there any way to remove that thin piece that separates the boot from the plug? There are these huge hexagon shaped things that look like what you would use to take it out but I'm not sure what they are called...

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
if I could get that thin piece out I could probably get the oil out and actually check the plug but as it is I don't have much room to move my finger let alone a rag.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
that thing is called the 3rd engine gasket (dealer only part) if you pull those for giant allen wrench bolts out you can get a towel in to soak up the oil. when i redid mine i pulled it off and the normal valve covers scraped and cleaned the whole head surface then put a thin amount of silicone around the whole thing and then put the #3 engine gasket in and the other two but get it all done while it's still rubbery if the siicone dries before your done you might end up doing it all over again in the near future... i messed that up once

ross

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I noticed when I pulled my valve covers that there was a half an inch gap in the seal where there was no seal. I used pipe cleaners and rust penetrant to scrub the metal part of the lines till they were clean. The rubber hoses connecting the lines were and are rock solid. All I really know to do is spray some degreaser into the port and let it sit and clean it as good as you possibley can. Sorry I'm not more help but I am dealing with like minded issues. Thanks 4 reading.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
The "thin piece" is often called the 3rd engine cover. You aren't going to get it off without taking your throttle body/y-pipe off. You need a large hex-head to get the bolts off, i think there are 3 or 4 of them.

Edit: you can get an aftermarket stainless steel one from SupraSport for a few bucks more than the stock one. I paid something like $33 for a stock one from Toyota.

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
it's a 14mm allen socket or you can use a 14mm bolt in there with some clever engineering to turn it.

i bought a full set of allen sockets at Harbor Freight Tools for like $12.. very nice quality believe it or not!

Hobbes992

Jan 25, 2006
Tampa, Florida
So far I've gone to harbor freight, autozone, discount, and sears and none of them carry the 14mm hex nut/ allen wrench. Everyone tells me to try Napa, so wish me luck. Thanks for the info about where to get a replacement "3rd engine cover", that product on the link looks promising.

JAWS

Apr 12, 2006
Aurora, CO
I got mine from my frendly neighborhood Snap-On man...
I can post the number when I get home if you promise not to faint from sticker shock.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
you can get a bolt and nut that have the 14mm head on them throw some locktite on the threads and put the nut on let it dry and then use that...

ross

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us